Grain storage??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
I had a bag of left over grains from when I put together a beer a couple months ago and its just been sitting in the spare room forgotten about since mid June.
They've been in a sealed bag and my house stays a pretty even 68-70 degrees.
There may have been some sun exposure through the blinds but not much.

Is there a proper way to store grains?
I figured that would be a seald container in dark cool place right?

Think these are still good? I'll be using them to make up about half a grain bill in an imperial stout

Sounds like proper storage to me. Humidity is really the only thing you need to worry about. Heat isn't an issue for the grain, but if there are weevil eggs they might hatch and causes a nuisance if the grain is warm (e.g., > 70F).

With those simple things in mind, you can keep unmilled malt for years. If it's milled, it's probably very susceptible to staling, the same way crackers or cereal can become stale when not contained.

I live on Long Island and the summers are pretty humid, even with the AC on humidity can reach 60%, while outside is 80-90%. So grains are sealed in bags and in a bucket with a gamma lid. Pet supply stores sell nice square shaped bins with gamma seals for pet food for larger quantities and a neater appearance.

I keep my unmilled grains in 5 gallon buckets with a gamma seal lid in my basement (cool dry place out of the sun). I don't know how long they can "keep" but I am pretty sure its long enough for me not to worry at all about it. About once a year I make "potpourri beer". I take all the little left overs I have and make a batch with them to purge my bins of leftovers. As long as you don't go crazy like 3 pounds of black patent LOL it usually turns out pretty good.. In fact I keep record of what I put in just in case I stumble on to something awesome. In short, cool dry place preferably air tight (also keeps bugs and mice and such out) and rotation practices and you wont have any problems

I store all my grains in large bags, sealed in a 5 gallon white bucket with a screw on lid. I put a small packet of the silicon gel to suck up any moisture that may get or did get into the bucket. I then store all these buckets in my basement away from any light. This may be overkill but I have stored unmilled grains for years with no issues.

I pre-grind all my grains at the LHBS in much larger batches then I use to as I have no interest in owning grinding equipment and not seen any ill affects from doing so. I buy my base malt in 50lb sacks which 1 will last me about 3 months and my specialty grains at 10 or 20 lbs each sometimes last me close to a year. I haven't noticed any difference between freshly ground and several month old grains in my beers myself. I just store them in cheap clear plastic wallywierd bins in a cool (50 to 70 degree )semi dark room. Take a pinch of your grain and chew it..If it tastes stale as in "stale crackers" as was mentioned it is..if not, its not and will make great beer. Never had a weevil or mouse issue...knock on wood.

I store all my grains in large bags, sealed in a 5 gallon white bucket with a screw on lid. I put a small packet of the silicon gel to suck up any moisture that may get or did get into the bucket. I then store all these buckets in my basement away from any light. This may be overkill but I have stored unmilled grains for years with no issues.

Same here. I have 1.5 year old grain in some of my buckets, but it is dry and kept cool. Never had an issue at all.

It was pre milled (ordered online)
Ill see if it tastes stale, and if it doesn't i should be good.
Pretty dry climate here in SW Idaho

Back