How long can wort be kept?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a while. If I wanted to brew, say 10 gallons instead of 5, split the wort into two 5 gallon batches and use different hops stuff, how long can wort be kept in like a 5 gallong carboy sealed and either at room temp or maybe somewhat colder in my kegerator? I am thinking maybe just a day or two a I only have one propane burner to use and one of my boil kettles is a cut down keg, so 5 gallons there would probably barely fill the bottom. LOL. Anyway, like I said, I was just thinking if I use the same grain bill I can make a 10 gallon batch and split it as long as the wort will be ok for a day or two in some sort of vessel of storage. Thoughts?

Look into "no-chill" brewing. While it's not the same as what you're doing (I assume you plan to chill the wort right away), the folks who do no-chill have some methods for protecting the wort overnight.

In any case, you'll need to be on the top of your game with sanitation. Also, keeping the headspace to a bare minimum will reduce the chance of infection and oxidation.

if kept cold, clean and sealed....probably a long time.

LME is basically condensed wort. shelf life of years.

No-Chill benefits from the wort having been boiled and being sealed into its cube at temps over pasteurization levels. Hops help too.

If you're looking to store wort straight from the mash, never having seen pasteurization temps, no hops, you're inviting infection.

But then again, what kind of infection would/could take root in just a day or two? It'll be boiled after storage and before pitching.

Commercial LME is pasteurized and packaged for shelf life. Not the same as heldover homebrew wort straight from the mash.

Good info folks. Thanks as I said, mostly just thinking about it. 10 gallons of one style may be overkill for me. I plan on having multiple taps at some point, and my thought was doing a basic 2 row or pilsner wort, then adding different hops and other stuff (orange peel, fruit juices, ect...) to make different beers. But, I guess if the wort is the same they are the same either way, just different flavours. LOL.

10 gallons of one style may be overkill for me.
I brew ten gallon batches and routinely "split" them. My recent brew was a wheat where half of it I added tart cherries. So basically, I have two beers. I did the same with the one before it, a blonde doppelbock. The first was straight up and the second I added tart cherries soaked in bourbon/oak. All of additions are done in the keg after fermentation is complete.

Besides fruit (or fruit extracts) the same could be done with coffee, tea or whatever. Just make sure you follow good sanitation and be aware that fruit additions could start a second fermentation in the keg.

From time to time when I brew I leave my graduated cylinder out in the open air with the SG sample. I usually start seeing significant activity after three or four days. I'm not sure the growth rates of the yeasts and bacteria the sample has picked up but I'm guessing after a couple days sacc would not be able to out-compete.

Sealed it would probably last a lot longer.

Thanks to all who replied. I think it is best if I stick with 5 gallon batches for now. I don't want to get anybody sick, and sure don't want to get me sick. LOL. I appreciate all the info. I might turn into a 10 gallon brewer at some point and add either different dry hops or other stuff in the fermentation. Rock On!!!!!!!!

I might turn into a 10 gallon brewer at some point
I was a five gallon brewer for a long time, but as I got better, built up more confidence and understanding the whole process I could see it didn't take that much more time and equipment to do larger batches. Granted I went up to ten gallons then to 15 and now I'm settling in at ten again. With larger batches though you'll need larger equipment and a space to safely and comfortable brew in. It's a normal progression as you brew but as you have read lots of folks are brewing smaller batches too.

For me ten gallons is perfect for the styles I like. The recipes I brew come my vault of a dozen or so recipes that I brew all of the time.

Latest posts

Back