Grain Storage for Smaller Amts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I use 5/6 gal HD/Lowes buckets with gamma lids for larger quantity grains. I
am looking for suggestions for storing smaller quantities, like 1 to 10 lbs. I prefer air tight since I live in a very humid climate. I've got a food sealer that I could use, but would prefer some type of plastic, airtight container.

Tupperware with a gasketed lid is going to be the best answer I'm sure.

I recently picked up a bunch of these containers and absolutely love 'em. Hold 4.5lbs, carrying handle, screw top (but no oring/gasket, so not exactly air tight). Best of all - 50 cents each. Widely available at any bubble tea shop usually.

HIPJ1ge.jpg

You know, a lot of people use old icing buckets for fermenting 2gal batches and stuff... could easily store grain in thems and might have nice lids. Not sure.

Those smaller icing buckets are what I use. The ones I got from Wally World do have a gasket in the lid and are great for smaller amounts of grain. I've gotten some for free and another time I had to pay $1 a piece. Either way well worth it.

I use the Vittles Vault. I bought the 25lbs one (which isnt super cheap) and Ill put multiple grains in separate paper or plastic bags which makes the 20$ more cost effective. Keeps the bugs and humidity out so it gets the passing grade from me. Plus its stackable so I can purchase multiple of them and keep my grains and adjuncts organized

Last edited by a moderator:
Tupperware with a gasketed lid is going to be the best answer I'm sure.

I recently picked up a bunch of these containers and absolutely love 'em. Hold 4.5lbs, carrying handle, screw top (but no oring/gasket, so not exactly air tight). Best of all - 50 cents each. Widely available at any bubble tea shop usually.

HIPJ1ge.jpg

Were those just throw aways from the tea shops? How big are those? Half gallon? gallon?

Would coffee shops also have them?

I think they're a gallon? Not sure -- but they hold 4.5 lbs of grain. Coffee shops wouldnt have em, they're what the tapioca pearls come shipped in I think. I always see 'em at any boba tea store for sale stupid cheap since they just toss 'em otherwise.

Not sure if you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership. We shop at Costco, and we're always getting products that come in different plastic containers with screw-on lids. Snack mix, nuts, stuff like that. A quick soak in some PBW to get rid of any flavors and aromas, and you're good to go. Better than tossing them in the recycling bin too!

For my bulk sacks I use the 55 lb vittles vaults.

For stuff I buy in 10 lb quantities I re-use Costco cat litter jugs.

For 5 lbs and less I use various snack containers.

Not sure if you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership. We shop at Costco, and we're always getting products that come in different plastic containers with screw-on lids. Snack mix, nuts, stuff like that. A quick soak in some PBW to get rid of any flavors and aromas, and you're good to go. Better than tossing them in the recycling bin too!

For my bulk sacks I use the 55 lb vittles vaults.

For stuff I buy in 10 lb quantities I re-use Costco cat litter jugs.

For 5 lbs and less I use various snack containers.

All I can think of here is the Utz Pub Mix... And now Im hungry...

All I can think of here is the Utz Pub Mix... And now Im hungry...

Haha, I'm embarrassed to tell you how many Utz Pub Mix containers are currently storing grain in my garage ;)

I've also used the gallon jugs their juice comes in from when I make cider. Just use a funnel to fill them with grain.

Then there are a few different ones we've accumulated, but I don't remember what came in them.

Zip lock freezer bags are relatively inexpensive and a gallon bag will hold about 5 lbs of grain, quart bags for smaller quantities. Bonus is they take up less room if partially full. Sharpie marker to indicates contents.

Check out OXO Pop containers. I use them in the kitchen to store things like flour and sugar, they are air tight with the press of a button (pressing the button contracts/expands a gasket for one touch lid removal/replacement). A little pricey but they are super easy to use and would work well for your purpose.

plastic bag, throw into a homer bucket with as many other plastic bags of grain that will fit?

Zip lock freezer bags are relatively inexpensive and a gallon bag will hold about 5 lbs of grain, quart bags for smaller quantities. Bonus is they take up less room if partially full. Sharpie marker to indicates contents.

That's what I do. I really like the Glad gallon freezer bags with the sliding zipper. Zip up about 3/4 way, squeeze out as much of remaining air, and zip it close. Put a label on them. I store them in 19 gallon storage totes and on the outside of the tote is a sticker with the content. The totes are full or mostly full, no space wasted. If humidity is an issue, use sealable pails.

I keep my inventory on an Excel sheet, along with hops and yeast.

Forgot to mention, I think keeping as much air away from grains is the success to longer term storing. It prevents staling. I found a partial sack of Golden Promise that must have been 5 years old. It was as good as what I'd buy today.

Check out OXO Pop containers. I use them in the kitchen to store things like flour and sugar, they are air tight with the press of a button (pressing the button contracts/expands a gasket for one touch lid removal/replacement). A little pricey but they are super easy to use and would work well for your purpose.

Forgot about the OXO Pop containers. They work great, just expensive.

That's what I do. I really like the Glad gallon freezer bags with the sliding zipper. Zip up about 3/4 way, squeeze out as much of remaining air, and zip it close. Put a label on them. I store them in 19 gallon storage totes and on the outside of the tote is a sticker with the content. The totes are full or mostly full, no space wasted. If humidity is an issue, use sealable pails.

I keep my inventory on an Excel sheet, along with hops and yeast.

Forgot to mention, I think keeping as much air away from grains is the success to longer term storing. It prevents staling. I found a partial sack of Golden Promise that must have been 5 years old. It was as good as what I'd buy today.

I like the idea of the freezer bags and putting them in sealable pails.

Mott's 1G Apple Juice containers are what I use for specialty grains. General rule of thumb in grain storage is 1G volume/5 lbs of grain. The Mott's hold 5 lbs perfectly. For stuff I use moderate amounts of regularly I have the before mentioned 2G icing buckets (10lbs of grain). For stuff that I sometimes use as a base malt but generally use as a smaller percentage of the grain bill I have 5G homer buckets with gamma lids (25lbs of grain). Finally for 2 row and pilsner malt I have 2 of the 50lbs Vittles Vaults, comfortability holds 55lb sack.

The Mott's containers also have the avantage of being the only storage container I know that comes with free ingredients for a batch of cider. They also make measuring quantities simple cause they pour really well onto the scale.

Pardon the dirty workbench.

PmvjjMMfeiSinVq6z7UZTXStMi5arALYM79pEBJ_p4rbrYKfTaExiamB63DgLfLCYVSdkyE7PPHydhuiT060rpPaqu8q4M3914yv7CiCbDYYYtCaUquCmWazB33fBiyZHxCQY1AsIJgraEduDYTtehCgrhj7SqgeLva3XJZGQ2DCEypIKHAPxSMtZNJ0T0S_Qqs8BY7DkhM2I4mjVUs3wVRKiRdY1TwuarQFui4WJTXPppbNI5b7ZwR7yWCo08zvmkcNtRtxzoUNgawrzTcLIt0Qz4h-bEGhjegBU6DGVIP6ji_RmmYqT6pVp5f98rQ7YJ_dhjEzOu1lFRJKMZdPMPozcQxMObEW4GYFDBvqfQtZB9Ac9nrXIOsRKjnhMiN4yODoSqkKOtteex6s76Lh9RxgzdatswFU_Mifd0RpT5STOt_iwe0fW983jWesiaGIQGILw-aSDlc3ccEnlwrjpkARDbzHO36PjQ7Y1GzmVFVv06zzJ_LpFi7CFfEFIRSFoBEh4jEsNhsQK8iA9yndeGzxXsLm2WTRJEx_2CaDI40g4WJeaDmE9v8kn29m2K_rxBFZ=w791-h593-no

Vacuum sealed foodsaver bags inside a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid right now. But I like some of the ideas on here that I've been reading.

Latest posts

Back