Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysbrew2012

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for CaraPils. Can I substitute it for half Cara20 & half Pilsner....bottom line I am just looking for ballpark same flavor. Any advice?? I was tasked to make a beer for a wedding and its either i swap out the carapils with half pilsner+cara20 or wait a week. Time is against me so thats why Im on here looking for answers.

Thanks for your help!!!!

I don't think Carapils is really a combination of those two. It really doesn't have the color or taste of C-20. From the Brew 365 website for Carapils.

http://www.brew365.com/malt_carapils.php

The result is a malt that, while adding the good effects of the dextrins to your beer (mouthfeel, head retention), does not add much else in the way of color, flavor, or fermentables.

Carapils is a malt that gives a lot of body and head retention without adding flavor or color. The best substitute I can think of is crystal 10L. But be carful, crystal can add a nutty carmal flavor if used to much, as carapils adds no flavor, but the crystal will help with body and head retention, which is what your looking for in the carapils

I'd either sub it with 2row and mash a few degrees higher (to keep the OG the same) or sub it out with some white wheat malt. As mentioned above, it is only in there for extra body and head retention.

A little maltodextrin could work as a substitute in a pinch.

Back