Grain Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I am upgrading my equipment and the first thing to go is my Corona grain mill. I just don't like it. I've been doing some research on models with rollers. The ones I've researched are: The Schmidling Grain Mill. The Valley Grain Mill, The Phil Mill, The JSP Mill and the Crankenstein Mill. All make 2 roller mills with fixed or adjustible rollers.
Crankandstein is the only one with a 3 roller mill. Schmidling has been around the longest.l Crankenstein seems to be such a small company that that they don't take phone calls only emails. Also, with Crankenstein, and I may be wrong, you have to make your own hopper and base. All but JSP are roughly the same price. JSP is cheeper.
Does anyone have any experience with these companies. What about a fixed gap verses verses an adjustible gap model and what about a 3oller verses a 2 roller model.

Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Best to duck and cover after asking that question..

Alex, the number 1 answer is "MINE!"

BTW, I am very happy with MINE!! (Barley Crusher)

:mug:

Hi Mudd,

I just added Barley Crusher to my list. Not bad for $109 plus shipping.
Thanks for the info.

David

I have a Valley Mill. Love it. The hopper will hold about 6lbs. of grain. However, I'm not sure they are making them anymore. I heard the rumor a while back. I happened to need a part for mine (drill adapter), e-mailed them about 3 weeks ago and never received a response. Take that FWIW. Might want to go a different route when you decide.

I have the JSP Malt Mill and love it. Mine is the non adjustable though, so I havent tried their adjustable model. But, the quality has to be the same. I get a great crush, and my effeciency is great. My 2 cents anyway.

It comes down to your preference really. I think almost all of the roller type mills are worth the cash, so check out all of them and see which one fits your needs.

Dude said:
I happened to need a part for mine (drill adapter), e-mailed them about 3 weeks ago and never received a response.

If you're talking about the hex shaped piece or rod, just cut the end off an Allen key.

AFAIK, Valley Mill are still in business, just getting less and less friendly to deal woth.

Thus far as they round the far turn its Barley Crusher and JSP running neck and neck in the lead. Due to negative comments in this thread Valley is fading fast. Schmidling and JSP are one and the same. Phil Mill never got into the gate so he's scratched. Stay tuned for the final results of the race.

I have a Crankanstien like this one http://www.crankandstein.com/cgm2d.htm and yes I did have to make the hopper and the base but, they are local to me and that made a big difference. So far since I bought it in Feb I have crushed at least 80 lbs of grain and it has worked like a charm. I to was really looking hard at the Barley Crusher.

Just got my Crankandstein but have yet to use it. They sell optional bases and hoppers for them but they cost $. I made my own out of some ductwork but like I said I haven't tested it yet. They did send along directions for building a hopper out of wood, though.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Anyone have the JSP Maltmill? LHBS has one for $65. Good deal?

I would say that is a heck of a deal!!
Check the JSP site: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/maltmill.htm
to find out how good a deal it is. I mean the different options and setups
that are available.

I would rather have my BC than the model A, even though the size difference would make it tempting.

Good Brewing

EDIT: @ $65.00, I would have bought the JSP over any mill!!

I have the non-adjustable JSP and am very happy with it. It works really well with 2 row, but may not be so good for 6 row or wheat.

As for $65, my LHBS sells it for $105 US, and they usually have very competitive prices. At $65, I'd buy a dozen. :drunk:

-a.

Barley Crusher won the race and I placed my order today. The basis for my decision was the $109 + shipping Total $127 price. The recommendation by Mudd and the testimonials by numerous people on the Web, the 10 minute reply to my email.
Also the unit comes complete and they promised to deliver tomorrow. Thanks for eveyones help.

David

CrankandStein mills are very good but Barley Crusher is also a good mill. I bought the C&S and hooked it up to a $29 beefy bodine motor.

GrainMill2.jpg

GrainMill1.jpg

Monster Mash

I bought the Barley Crusher. See my new thread BARLEY CRUSHER

DAVID

Back