Gose not sour enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vongo

Reaction score
Ok I just tasted my Gose hydro sample and it is not sour enough for my liking ( used acidulated malt). Should I add some bugs while it's in the secondary or just let it be ?

you could stove top a gallon or so of dme and add in a package of lacto. hold at 100 or so for a 5 to 7 days or until it gets good and funky, pasteurizer, and then add back into the main batch. that's how i did mine and i didn't think my final product was sour enough, but with the combination of your primary acidulated batch and the secondary addition of some lacto-wort, you might come out just right.

Hold at 100 for 5 to 7 days ? Why not just pitch the lacto into the secondary?

One of my clubmates did the handful of grain in wort trick to innoculate with lacto. He had an intensely soured batch in just a couple of days with the wort warmed into the 90 to 100 F range.

In my opinion, you should be co-fermenting these brews with both yeast and lacto at the same time. The yeast keep the lacto from going crazy and producing a too sour beer. Many commercial BW cultures have the combo of yeast and lacto.

Back