Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen Clone for Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulsBrew

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum, yet not all that new to brewing. I use the Mr. Beer MircoBrew Kit. I’m making about 2 to 3 beers a month.

Does anyone have a really good and proven Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen Clone that uses Mr. Beer? I’m looking at trying to make a clone as close to the on Biersch Hefeweizen beer. If you have ever had it, you’ll know why I want to make a beer like theirs. If I cannot, I have no problem just buying their beer. The Octoberfest Vienna Lager does not even get close to it.

Brew On,

Paul

From the description of the Hefe at GB's website, it's a Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Austin Homebrew has a recipe kit: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_163&products_id=318
But that kit would be for a 5 gallon fermenter. Maybe you're ready to step up to the next level? If not you could simply search for a nice Bavarian Hefeweizen extract recipe, and I am pretty sure that the yeast is pretty important when brewing this kind of beer, and cut the recipe amounts in half. If I recall correctly, the Mr. Beer kits are 2.5 gallons, right?

I don't know of a kit, but I second ma2brew's sentiment. If you are brewing two or three beers each month, you're probably ready to put Mr. Beer aside. You'll find you have many, many more brewing options!

TL

Found this on their site. Almost give the all grain recipe.

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen is a true, unfiltered, Bavarian-style wheat (Weizen) beer with the yeast (Hefe) still present.. It is brewed with 65% malted wheat and 35% malted barley. Our Hefeweizen is very effervescent with a higher level of naturally carbonation— 20% higher than other craft-brewed wheat beers. A special top fermenting yeast strain is used to ferment this beer producing flavors hinting of citrus, banana, bubble gum and clove, all naturally produced by the yeast. In Bavaria, this beer is traditionally consumed Sunday morning after church (and sometimes before as well as during) alongside Weisswurst (white veal sausages) and freshly baked Brez’n (pretzels).

Alcohol volume 5.5%; bitterness 12 IBU; 2.7% residual sugar

Yeast Strain Weihenstephan 68

Hops: Hallertau aroma

Back