Good Widely-Available Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm all about trying new beers, of pretty much any variety, but at around $10 for a 6-pack, I don't want to end up getting something I hate. I'm just looking for any suggestions that I'd be likely to find in my local grocery store. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't suggest that to just anyone. Brettg, what styles do you normally prefer? There's a ton of good beer out there, but it all depends on what you like and what they stock in your grocery store.

I was suggesting it to him, he started this post.

yeah, but AB isn't really a great beer for everyone. It is a one-dimensional chinook bomb of a beer. I'm trying to get more information so I can suggest something... better.

I understand, I just figured it would be worth it for him to try it, especially if he hasn't and he is on the east coast. AB is not even my fav beer from stone, their ruination and levitation are better tasting. I suggested AB so he could experience it. It's hard to know what a grocery store on the east coast would carry that we take for granted here in So Cal.

I'll stand and take it for this, but I think a beer that defines "good, widely available" is Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

I'll stand and take it for this, but I think a beer that defines "good, widely available" is Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

Isn't Sierra Nevada available across the US? I think it beats Sam Adams IMO.

I know they are 2 different styles, but I will drink a Sierra Nevada over Sam Adams everytime

I think the OP should take a picture of the selection he has available to him and we can just pick from that. It seems so much easier.

Wait a minute. It's just to hard to know what you *might* like. We could all throw out suggestions of our favorites, but it means literally nothing to one single person. There's just too many styles out there.

I suggest listing a few beers that you've already tasted, and then we can start offering suggestions based of your experience.

Or read up on the styles at bjcp and see what you might like from that. They list examples.

Or we can keep offering our suggestions and you risk getting a shock from a hop bomb.

Fact is, there are MANY MANY beers out there, and they each have their followers. For me, I would suggest:

Local to me...
Bell's Oberon - American Wheat
Bells Two-Hearted - American IPA
Founders Double Trouble - IIPA
Founders Breakfast Stout - Oatmeal Stout
New Holland Golden Cap - Saison

Blue Moon - American Wit
NewCastle - English Brown Ale
Guiness Draught - Dry Irish Stout

It's hard to pick a national beer because I rarely drink those. I normally buy local. I like some of the "craft" beers by Michelob. Somewhat fond of some Sam Adams.

Sorry for the long response time here. Good idea about listing some of the beers I have tried and really like. We do have Sierra Nevada here, and I love the pale ale. APA's are probably my favorite style of beer. I'm pretty much all over the place with my tastes and I'm just wanting to try some new, different stuff. I also like Sweetwater 420, another APA. Uhhhh, Harpoon IPA is really good IMO. Just tried some new stuff last night, High Lands Oatmeal Porter. I dig it. I can appreciate almost any beer. I can't wait for some suggestions.

Back