Good propane price at a chain store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
Hey all,

If you have a Tractor Supply Company near you, you may want to look into their propane prices. I just found out today that one in my home town fills for $1.99/gal which should come to around $9.00 for a fill on a 20lb tank! I've been paying $15 per tank which was the best price around the last time I looked. :)

I understand that propane prices are regionally different, but it (usually) costs nothing to call and ask.

I've been getting the Blue Rhino exchanges at Home Depot, etc. Freak'n rip-off at $19 for 15 lbs. Note that those are 20 lb. tanks only filled to 15 lbs.
I wish I had a Tractor Supply near me. Good find!

We had a great deal at a local Rental City for $12. They suddenly doubled their price for no reason- I suspect they just didn't want to fool around with filling people's 20# tanks. I just do the Amerigas exchange at the supermarket now. I have discovered that the way to cut my gas costs is to do the mash tun preheat water on the kitchen stove, followed by 3 gal. (what my small pot will hold) of the strike water. I then take the preheat water, which is still around 145F, take it back to the kitchen and heat it to 170F for the sparge. That way I can get at least 5 batches from a 20# propane tank. The gas to the kitchen stove comes from the 1K gal. bulk tank behind the house, and costs $1.69 / gal.

Back