Good News and Bad News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mofoa

Reaction score
Good news is, I know why it happened, and I can prevent it from happening again--if I only stuck to my normal routine...

Bad news is, after adding my chiller to the wort during the last 15 minutes, the plastic tubing got really soft. I did all that I could from avoid touching the pot during this time, but it was the fact that the copper itself got so hot, and that was not a good thing as when I turned on the tap water, it began leaking into my wort. I'd say a good few table spoons of tap water got into the final product.

I suppose the only way to tell if my brew is now contaminated is to just wait until its ready.:(

Has this happened to anyone else, and did the beer come out OK?

Oh, and it was an English Brown Ale.

Thanks,
Ralf

You're ok. I have really good tap water (Santa Rosa, CA) and often use tap water to top off my carboys and to brew.

Relax, have a brew and pitch your yeast when it's at temp.

Happy brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did it slowly leak the entire time you were cooling, or only at first until you could remedy the situation?

There's a good chance you only added it early, meaning the wort was still above pasteurization temperature.

Been there done that, don't feel bad. Double clamped it and all good now. Batch turned out fine.

I've always just used tap water for my top off with no boiling ar anything and never had an issue, so unless you are living in some place where you can't drink the water you'll be fine.

Holy cow you guys are on it!

We do have good clean drinking water in my neck of the woods. So I am hoping based on this feedback, all won't be as bad as I thought--that is very comforting to hear. I am brewing this for the wife.

It did not leak into the wort entire time while chilling. Not more than a minute went by before catching it.

Thanks everyone!! :) Time for a cold one.

Whatever got in there was probably killed by the 210' wort. I wouldn't fret.

Happened to me with a nasty outdoor hose water and my beer turned out okay.

Happened to me with a nasty outdoor hose water and my beer turned out okay.

Same here. Before I found a proper sink-to-chiller adapter for my weird sink faucet I used a garden hose. I hadn't tightened the little metal clamps on the chiller in a while (the ones that hold the hose onto the copper) and it started to leak near the end.

The beer turned out fine. I wouldn't worry.

Back