Good guiness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
I spent the summer backpacking around europe and while in dublin I fell in love with guiness. Anyone know of a place in houston that has guiness as good as it is in dublin?
P.s. While In dublin I never came across a pub who serves the guiness warm. And I went to the brewery and they serve it cold as well. I dont know why people keep telling me its served warm

Sherlock's will have what you seek... :)

I used to spend $100 every night there.

On a ferry from England to Ireland, the Irish bartender asked what I would like to drink. I asked if they got the Guinness in England or Ireland, disgusted he turned around and wouldn't talk to me the rest of the trip, I had to use the other bar... So, I'm guessing it came from Ireland ? :)

Im pretty sure guiness is only brewed in dublin and canada and somewhere in new england

I drank lots of Guiness while in Ireland a couple months ago. On tap at least, it really was excellent. I like it in the US ok, but that beer was much better. It had more body and mouthfeel, and each glass was a treat. The 2nd best beer I had while in the UK was a fresh-tasting SNPA (of all things), in some random bar in London.

I found it to be better in Ire than in the us. A little richer, and the foam was springier. The test I always do is as follows. Grab a good glob between thumb and ring finger. Squeeze as gently as possible several times. It should feel like it is springing back a bit, and this should last for 3-4 springings. I haven't had US guinness even spring back once.

Im pretty sure guiness is only brewed in dublin and canada and somewhere in new england

I read on Wikipedia that Guinness essentially creates an extract that is shipped throughout the world and mixed/brewed with local ingredients. Guinness is one of the most popular beers in Africa.

Thats intresting I didnt know that. Im going off on a tangent here but if your ever in ireland you need to go to the guiness brewery. They give a tour of the brewhouse and they have a bar on the 7th floor with a panoramic view of the city. One of the most fun things I did in europe

Try looking for the Guiness Foreign Extra (I think that's what they call it.) It runs at about 7.5% but tastes much better than the regular US stuff you find in the grocery stores.

I shall take your advice on the Ireland trip, if I find myself there I'll be sure to go.

Back in 2005 I went to the Heineken Brewery. I just remember that it was a bit PR stunt, I don't remember any real substance. Last time I've been to a major brewery.

i was in Dublin for a semester and you will never find it better than it is there. To me it is a completely different beer here. That was in '04 and I probably haven't had 15 Guinnesses since then.

I HATES me some guinness. Suck hole beer tis.

It might be the freshness that makes it better there.

I guess I need to try it there before I call a time of death completely on Guinness.

You really do. Its an amazing beer. I drank about 8 pints of it a day in dublin. Plus the irish love americans so I almost never had to buy my own drinks. (only at the local pubs)

Back