Going through way to much co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Hi team, I keg my beer in cornies, and lately my 5 lb co2 tank has been lasting about 4 weeks or less, which isn't even 10 gallons. I prime from a 15 lb tank I keep them in a keezer prior to transferring to my kegerator. Anyhoo I figure I have a leak. I have tried the normal method of using soapy water and watching for bubbles. With no luck. I have a suspicion that the corny lid orings are not sealing properly. Anyone have this issue ?

Are you seating the keg lid seals with 30 PSI before you carbonate? Keg lube works real well if you think that's where your leak is.

I suspect your leak is on your regulator connections. I had one that was a booger to find because it must have been on the bottom of the tank connection and would "move" whenever I inverted everything to try and find the leak with soap bubbles. I gave up and replace the ring and the leak is gone.

One trick if you suspect the kegs, pressurize to 30+ lbs initially and then hit them again in a day or so....it should not take much at all if any to get them back to pressure. If it does, you definitely have a keg leak.

I hit all mine this way to check my keg seals now. I follow the same method as you...charge, store and move to kegerator.

Back