Gobs of Smoked Andouille

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
15# of heavenly Andouille. It's just the tastiest sausage in the world. I use the recipe right out of Ruhlman's Charcuterie. A few years ago I brought some to a party (with some homemade cheese) and just sliced it up without heating (it's a cured sausage, and precooked in the smoker). Comments were that it was the best sausage evah.

My new smoker, this Traeger, doesn't allow me to easily hang them as I did in my Weber Smokey Mountain. I was pretty bummed. But it didn't turn out to matter, came out fine, albeit with some undesirable grill marks. In order to improve the smoke, I used a A-maze-N smoke accessory.

1625005059469.png

1625005071395.png

1625005120430.png

1625005161681.png

1625005260869.png

1625005282725.png

i remember messing around with sausage once or twice, even tried natural casing, for the extra pop!
in my case though, i tried using the stuffing thing that goes with the kitchen aid meat grinder....didn't quite work that good.... :(
looks good! :mug:

i remember messing around with sausage once or twice, even tried natural casing, for the extra pop!
in my case though, i tried using the stuffing thing that goes with the kitchen aid meat grinder....didn't quite work that good.... :(
looks good! :mug:

Those are hog casings (normal for most sausage). I used to buy them online, and they'd come dry and packed in salt - you rehydrated before using. I had so much breakage with those. I now buy fresh (?) casings from a local italian deli. They are SOOO much better.

Stuffing with the KA mixer is not good. I never did that. This little 5# vertical stuffer works great.

Back