Sausage Making, First Time - Andouille and Venison Sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkenboar

Reaction score
Decided to try my hand at sausage making. Might have overdone it slightly for a first time. It involved randomly buying a book, a LEM 10lb Sausage Stuffer and then finally burning out my Kitchenaid while trying to grind/mix.

Made a batch of Andouille (10lbs) and Venison (15lbs) sausage using the recipes from Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie book.

IMG-1348.jpg

Both sausages were smoked at ~185°F to an internal temperature of 155°F (about 3 hours). Used my Yoder YS480 with a mix of cherry and oak.

IMG-1349.jpg

First few sausages were definitely a learning experience. Had a few blowouts while trying to get the technique dialed in.

IMG-1350.jpg

Seems to have turned out quite well, good smoke flavor throughout but the Andouille is a bit mild. I should have trusted my instincts and added some Naga Morich chilli powder.

Those look great! I make that Andouille all the time. It's really good I think - but yea, it's not overly spicey. I went to a party recently and just took some cold Andouille, sliced it and served cold with cheese. People gobbled it up. It's also good with all those cajun recipes. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Back