GFCI Wiring Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIsPaul

Reaction score
Evenin' Folks!

I'm building a Pump In A Box, with a 2 Gang Switch connected to a GFCI Outlet.
My goal is to have a small 3 outlet strip connected to the load side so I can power up my pump (that's plugged into the strip) and run it by one of the switches, and the other switch controlling main power to the whole box.

I'm ok with wiring up single switches and whatnot, but I'm a touch confused as to how to do this and don't want to mess with guesswork and electricity. So I'm reaching out the pro's for a wiring diagram or a walkthrough.

Any takers?:confused:

I'm a bit confused. What are you trying to power other than the pump? If it is only the pump, just use one switch to turn the pump off and on, plug the box into a GFCI outlet, and your done. If you want a separate switched outlet, just remove the "tab" from a standard duplex outlet and switch and wire each outlet separately. If you have other devices you wish to power in the box, then yes, you may want to run the input to the box through a switch to turn off main power. You could then either wire a standard duplex outlet as I described to get two separate circuits, or just use one switch and don't remove the tab to switch both outlets together.

I'm a bit confused. What are you trying to power other than the pump? If it is only the pump, just use one switch to turn the pump off and on, plug the box into a GFCI outlet, and your done. If you want a separate switched outlet, just remove the "tab" from a standard duplex outlet and switch and wire each outlet separately. If you have other devices you wish to power in the box, then yes, you may want to run the input to the box through a switch to turn off main power. You could then either wire a standard duplex outlet as I described to get two separate circuits, or just use one switch and don't remove the tab to switch both outlets together.

It was the darn tab that was throwing me off, I got it all together and working how I wanted it to, thanks!

Back