Getting ready to start my first lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleScout

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for my first lager, waiting for a European Pilsner kit I ordered from Midwest. I have a refrigerator and temp controller for lagering and this will be my first batch that I'm doing in glass. I'm planning to use the lagering schedule that was posted on Home Brew Talk last week, I could get it done faster if I follow the directions with the kit but I'm not in a hurry. Am I missing anything or is there something I could do better?

Make a bigger starter than usual, lagers need nearly twice as much yeast. Find a good calculator: https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Day 1 is the most important, do not pitch until you reach your primary fermentation temperature (40F-60F); aim for the lower end recommended by the yeast manufacture.
Some people like to pitch warm and then drop the temperature, don't do that! Most off-flavors are developed during the growth phase, the first 1-3 days of fermentation.

Primary fermentation will take longer than with Ales, don't rush it.

Make a bigger starter than usual, lagers need nearly twice as much yeast. Find a good calculator: https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Day 1 is the most important, do not pitch until you reach your primary fermentation temperature (40F-60F); aim for the lower end recommended by the yeast manufacture.
Some people like to pitch warm and then drop the temperature, don't do that! Most off-flavors are developed during the growth phase, the first 1-3 days of fermentation.

Primary fermentation will take longer than with Ales, don't rush it.

I don't want to rush any part of this. The directions for the kit only calls for 6-8 weeks from kettle to ready to drink, I'm planning to do 12 weeks including 3 weeks to bottle condition. The lagering schedule I'm planning to use includes a couple days to gradually change the temp at each step so that you don't shock the yeast by going too fast and a Diacetyl Rest as the last step before going to the secondary.

You might want to consider gelatin. I have a 8 week lager on tap now that's still hazy. It was a split batch. The other keg I used gelatin and it was clear when tapped and it was tapped at 5 weeks....all my lagers will get gelatin from now on....hazy IPA I have no problem with...hazy lagers look crappy

Use a blow off device, not a bubbler. Because you can't see the carboy, you might tend to not watch fermentation as close. A mess in the fridge is easier to clean up than a mess in a closet but it is still a mess. I switch to a S-type airlock before I start dropping the temperature as the 3-piece type will suck back the liquid from the airlock and so will the blow off device if the end is in sanitizer. And be patient! I have had as long as a 5 day lag time with a huge starter for things to really get going (it was at the lowest end of the temperature range).

I have a question about the yeast, got the dry yeast, s23, because of ordering it during the summer, and it calls for just dumping it in the wort without rehydrating it. Is that a good idea or should I rehydrate it first like I normally do?

Re-hydrate. It doesn't take much effort and many technical studies state that pitching the yeast dry kills half of the yeast cells. It will work dry though.

I have a question about the yeast, got the dry yeast, s23, because of ordering it during the summer, and it calls for just dumping it in the wort without rehydrating it. Is that a good idea or should I rehydrate it first like I normally do?

You need to do more than rehydrate; unless you have 3 packs.
You will likely need a pretty big starter; use the calculator in my post above or a similar calculator.

You need to do more than rehydrate; unless you have 3 packs.
You will likely need a pretty big starter; use the calculator in my post above or a similar calculator.

Because of using mostly dry yeasts I haven't made too many starters. How many days ahead should I make it if I need a 3 liter starter and don't have a stir plate?

don't worry about making a yeast starter with dry yeast. nonsense

Normally I'd agree with you but I decided not to take any chances. Because I started with a starter it started bubbling away within a few hours instead of a day or 2 and a pound of dme is cheaper than 2 extra packs of yeast.

Normally I'd agree with you but I decided not to take any chances. Because I started with a starter it started bubbling away within a few hours instead of a day or 2 and a pound of dme is cheaper than 2 extra packs of yeast.

Yeah whatever works man. I'm sure it will be fine!

Been drinking this for about a week now and it turned out awesome, never expected my first lager to turn out this good. Thanks for the tips, doubt is would have turned out so good if I followed the kit's directions.

Back