Getting my first lager right....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
ok..thursday is the day...first go at a lager - I've got my WLP830 charging up a starter as I type. While I quite clear about the actual brewing process, its from the pitch onward I have a few questions needing clarification. It's my understanding that
  1. I want to pitch around 10-11 ºC (50-53 ºF) - ok, so after immersion, hit the cold chamber to get that low...can do
  2. around 15-20 days in, a Diacetyl Rest around 18-19ºC (65-67ºF) -- so increase temp for couple days
  3. day 21-50 , slowly Drop temp to 1-3ºC (32-35F)
  4. day 50? keg and put on gas (10psi?)
  5. 5-10 days .....serve
Aside from all that time (I know, I know.... patience!!!) step 3 is my main concern....do I risk suck back and oxygen coming into that carboy like I would on a cold crash? or is it slow enough that this is not a concern?

A little off on the time line. You want to D-rest before fermentation is finished. With an adequate pitch rate, that may happen as early as 5-7 days into fermentation. Once at that raised temp, you can leave it there for a week or two or at least until most of the heavy particles have settled out. If you don't have a way to put CO2 on the fermenter during the cold crash, it's best to keg it directly and put it on gas while you chill it down. That's when you can keep it cold for getting it crystal clear.

If you pitch enough yeast ( lots ) and ferment cold ( looks like you are ) you probably won’t need the D rest. I don’t worry about suckback.
I like to pitch slightly colder than ferment temp, 6-8c then let rise to 10.

On point 3, did you mean slowly drop the temp over a period of 4 weeks or slowly drop over a period of several days and then let sit at your target lagering temp?

With a lager I brewed recently, I dropped the temp 4 degrees per day after diacetyl rest until I reached my target lagering temp. Then I kegged and stuck it in the kegerator with CO2 hooked up and let it sit for 4 weeks before tapping. From what I’ve read, the consensus does seem to be that carbing and lagering simultaneously is just fine. Didn’t have any negative effects on mine. And yes, you can definitely lager in the keg.

—————
Follow my homebrew-themed Instagram!
@mcmeador

All good stuff here, it's great to have such wonderful support. The most important thing about the cold side of lager is temperature control. The timeline in the OP should be more of a guideline, like Bobby_M sez. Check the SG and temperature often, if you use a refractometer, make sure it is calibrated to provide accurate measurement. If you haven't done a force ferment on the wort, your FG is a best guess based on the expected attenuation of the yeast (74-79%). When the beer gets within 5 points or so of the FG, a slight increase in the temperature for 2-3 days will suffice as a D-rest. Cold crash afterwards, preferably in a keg with a little gas on, reducing the temperature slowly over several days. You can drop the temperature immediately to low 30's F. if you plan on kegging or slowly if bottling.

You can drop the temperature immediately to low 30's F. if you plan on kegging or slowly if bottling.

That makes sense. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about whether you should step down (I do because I have the ability to) or drop all at once, but I guess it all comes down to the method of packaging. You don’t want to shock the yeast if you need them for natural carbonation in the bottle, but it doesn’t matter if you are force-carbing in the keg.

Back