German Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Not sure where this goes, so I will start here. My sister in law gave me a bunch of German beers from a place called Weihenstephaner. According to the label and her, it is the oldest brewery in Germany. She is from Russia, so I will take her word for it as I know nothing about anything outside of the IPA world. I just opened a can of their Helles beer, and I have to say it isn't bad. It has a very crisp taste, almost Coors like, but a very pleasant taste and a light finish. Doing some research, I see it is a lager or similar, so to brew it I am guessing you have to be able to ferment at a rather cold temp? This style could be another to add to my arsenal, but I cannot ferment at much cooler than about 65 degrees. So, I am guessing I will have to wait on this until I can get a Keezer to ferment cooler? Anyway, just thought I would post as I have not seen much conversation regarding this style of beer. Rock On!!!!!!

Helles is a lager. There’s yeasts nowadays that people claim can mimic the lagers at ale temps, but generally speaking you’ll need a fermentation chamber that can be turned down pretty low for the fermentation process and lagering.

You could certainly try W34/70 at room temperature. I’d go that route before faffing about with Lutra.

(Amused at the comparison of Weihenstephaner to Coors. Though to me, Pilsner Urquell tastes a bit like Rolling Rock…)

They are one of oldest and respected brewers in the world. After you learn a bit more about styles you will find that out. Helles is hard to brew well as any faults will show in such a pale beer.

We don’t usually get bottles over here that are that fresh. Check the dates. I also had to chuckle at the comparison you made.

Seek some their beers out. You should be impressed.

I believe they claim to be the worlds oldest brewery - the year 1040 appears on their label. And its amazing to think that in a few years they will be able to claim to have been in continuous operation for 1,000 years.

But yes, in order to brew lagers you will need some form of cold storage. Many lager yeasts work at around 50 degrees F for the fermentation. Then after the fermentation is complete you have to lager (lager in German means to store) the beer at cold temperatures for several weeks. Cold meaning 35 degrees or so.

Even if you use 34/70 at ale temperatures for your fermentation you still need to do the cold aging part. By the way, I have done this and gotten a nice beer out of it.

The big difference between German lagers and American lagers is the use of adjuncts. Nearly all American lagers are brewed with a percentage of corn or rice. German brewers have to follow the Rheinheitsgebot which does not allow for adjuncts. German beers are all malt.

Great info, thanks guys. It was my first taste of that style and I really kinda dug it. I could see that being a nice, clean and crisp beer to have on hand. So, I am thinking, and please correct me if I am wrong, if I ferment at room temps, say in the mid 60's, once fermentation is done I can keg and drop the temp in my kegerator and lager it there, right? Or am I making this way simpler than it should be. LOL.

Great info, thanks guys. It was my first taste of that style and I really kinda dug it. I could see that being a nice, clean and crisp beer to have on hand. So, I am thinking, and please correct me if I am wrong, if I ferment at room temps, say in the mid 60's, once fermentation is done I can keg and drop the temp in my kegerator and lager it there, right? Or am I making this way simpler than it should be. LOL.
Thats what I do

Back