gas Vesus electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnybravo

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has discussed this before but, has anyone calculated whether it is cheaper to use gas (domestic supply or bottled) or electricity when heating water and boiling wort in the UK?
I am thinking of upgrading my setup but would rather build a system that uses the cheapest method to heat water etc.

cheers!

Depending on cost per BTU. The advantage of electric is the element is immersed in the liquid you are attempting to boil, versus the gas flame under the pot with a lot of the heat washing away around the pot.

Natural Gas (from a house supply) is generally cheapest for heat, unless you have a tremendously inefficient burner.
Electric is generally the next cheapest for homebrewers, in part because it's the most efficient (90%+)
Propane from a house supply (via the large house supply tanks) would be next, although it's possible for that to be cheaper than electric depending on the efficiency of your rig and the cost of electricity/propane.

BBQ tank propane is most expensive and it's not really close.

For me, with 15-20 gallon batches, I've estimated I use about $2 worth of electricity for an all grain batch with 75 minute boil.

Electricity is cheaper in the winter, but the water is also a lot colder, so it takes more energy to heat.

Back