Good electric burner/hot plate for sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
I’ve been tasked with “coming up with Christmas ideas” for myself and I thought it would be nice to have an electric burner/hot plate that I could plug in on brew days to heat my sparge water. I usually sparge with just 2 gallons since I use a Brewzilla so I wouldn’t need a super powerful one, but I’m curious if anyone here has something similar that they like!

Electric kettles work well for sparge. Can't heat 2 gals at once but they heat quickly to a specified temp.
That’s a good point, maybe find a larger one of those, maybe 2 liter or something and do it in a couple batches

Oh nice! A solid price for it as well. All the better if it can heat 2-3 gallons too.

I used to use an old Coleman stove (white gas, not propane) for heating sparge water. Whatever works.

I had a Burtan 1800 watt induction burner that died after 10 years and Amazon was the only place to get one and I quit Amazon 3 years ago and save a crap ton. So I got the NuWave 1500 w and it takes 5 gal in an insulated kettle to boil in 2 hours. Bonus is you can use it in the kitchen when needed. I would put that in the household budget and pick out something(Anton-Par) cooler for Christmas.

These are all good ideas, honestly as long as it’s something that works well it’s good enough for me. I’m just trying to avoid having to walk around and go back upstairs to get my sparge water and carry it all the way back down. Maybe I’ve become lazy…

I just heat up all my water, about 7 gallons to mash temp, draw off the 3 gallons for the sparge into a pot. The sparge water temp drops to about 105.
I don’t heat it back up and never had an extraction issue.
I would find another area to spend the money
Yes, sparging with cool water works just as well as sparging with hot water. The only drawback is it takes longer to heat to boil if the sparge water is cool (although it doesn't take any more energy.)

Brew on :mug:

I'm thinking about getting a 3500 watt for doing decoction mashes. Anyone have a suggestion for a brand of 3500 watt induction burners.

These are all good ideas, honestly as long as it’s something that works well it’s good enough for me. I’m just trying to avoid having to walk around and go back upstairs to get my sparge water and carry it all the way back down. Maybe I’ve become lazy…

The safety factor, too. Not having to schlep a kettle of hot water down a flight of stairs is a good idea.

Safety is a bug part of it too. I find that moving even a few gallons is a lot harder than it used to be. Sometimes I’m a bit sore after a brew day.

I would go with an induction burner and pot as mentioned above. They are more efficient than coil burners and you can use them for other uses. I use mine for geletin, priming sugar, sparging, and heating a pressure cooker for sterization.

Back