Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmm

I have a small fermentor bucket(maybe 3 gallons) (rasperry filling bucket from a friend who works in a bakery)

so Im gonna measure it out, then make something happen on thursday. Im thinking imperial IPA, 2.5 gallons.

give me some recipe ideas!

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)

Dry Hop
.5 oz Chinook
1 oz Centennial

Mash low 149 - 152. Use something like WLP007 with a huge starter.

I know if you're adding corn sugar it's not 100% all grain, but it really helps to dry the beer out. **** the naysayers.

What do you think, sirs?

looks good! I'm guessing by the bill this is 5 gallons correct?

hmm... looks like I have everything I would need to make this in 2.5 gallon except maybe the corn sugar. I think I have 40l. either way I can always pick it up.

looks like I need to adjust beersmith FWH to 30 min. I've never done FWH (as I've never done AG so that kinda goes hand in hand)

looks good! I'm guessing by the bill this is 5 gallons correct?

hmm... looks like I have everything I would need to make this in 2.5 gallon except maybe the corn sugar. I think I have 40l. either way I can always pick it up.

looks like I need to adjust beersmith FWH to 30 min. I've never done FWH (as I've never done AG so that kinda goes hand in hand)

Yeah, I did it 5 gallons because that's what I'm use to dealing with (5.5 actually) and because it can be split in half easily.

Hell, I don't even know if we have 40L. I know we have 55L for sure.

what if I hit too highefficiency and end up with like a 1.10?

I set it to 70%. We can move it around some. I hit 74% my first try at AG. But then again, that's me ;).

If it's too high, we could dillute it, or like I said, we could aim a little higher from the get go.

I don't know necessarily from experience but I have heard corn sugar gives a more hoochy flavor than say honey or something like that which would also dry it out, just my 2 cents.

I don't know necessarily from experience but I have heard corn sugar gives a more hoochy flavor than say honey or something like that which would also dry it out, just my 2 cents.

Pliny the Elder uses a pound in it's recipe. I think I have 1.5 pounds, I'd probably knock it down to 1lb. You just don't want this thing to finish high, it would be very hard to drink. I wouldn't hesitate to put a some in a beer, especially this size.

Let me know what efficiency you wanna shoot for and I'll make the changes. I just knocked the corn sugar back to a pound (if you wanna use it).

well with such a big body, the corn sugar would make it less.... of a mouthful.

at least that's my experience. I've used honey in like 5 recipes my dads friend gave me from the 80s. they all had honey and I didn't particularly like them. they all had this similar sweetness to them. not necesssarily honey but, semisweet

also, I am gonna measure this mini fermentor to see what's up, let's try and use all 8 of my lbs while staying within the style guidelines, if it comes up too big we can dilute no big deal.

that make sense? It's cracked so I wanna get rid of it!

Haha also Chris not gonna lie your new avatar freaks me out.

That would be Arch Hall, Jr from the movie Eegah starring Richard Kiel of 007 fame (Jaws).

and my favorite line from the movie ....

The avatar is what I made at 6am Saturday morning after my drunk neighbors woke me up at 5am. I'm gonna get it printed on a shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
now I'm excited! How long you think this one will take to be drinkable?

also chris is there a light in the back or how's that work?

Also, chris do you know if the shop readily carries wlp007 or do you hve to order it? (if they can't get it by Thursday I'll buy online, need to get some more yeast anyway. Only got 2 strains in the slants

Also, mason jars. I see quart sized at publix which is fine but where do I get a pint sized one like you had? I tried craigslist. Maybe I could go to walmart...

now I'm excited! How long you think this one will take to be drinkable?

also chris is there a light in the back or how's that work?

Drinkable, well, high gravity high ibus, I would think it might take a little conditioning time. But 007 works very fast. I'd say 3-4 week primary. Do you have the ability to cold crash or lager for a week or so? I "lagered" that Centennial SMaSH for a couple weeks.

I was wondering about the light myself. I'll have to check it out.

Also, chris do you know if the shop readily carries wlp007 or do you hve to order it? (if they can't get it by Thursday I'll buy online, need to get some more yeast anyway. Only got 2 strains in the slants

We usually keep a couple tubes in stock (thanks to me, i love that yeast). Skip works today, you could have him check.

Also, mason jars. I see quart sized at publix which is fine but where do I get a pint sized one like you had? I tried craigslist. Maybe I could go to walmart...

I believe I got them at Walmart.

I can lager in a keg... well... sit in my 40f freezer in a keg.

how much are the 007s at hoggetowne? I think it's something like 9 bucks am I right?

and as far as the mason jars, I'm gonna buy some sometime this week. I got the foodsaver attachment and I'm gonna pack my hops in jars. I have 4 lbs in bags and that took a lot of bags and a **** ton of time.

I can lager in a keg... well... sit in my 40f freezer in a keg.

how much are the 007s at hoggetowne? I think it's something like 9 bucks am I right?

and as far as the mason jars, I'm gonna buy some sometime this week. I got the foodsaver attachment and I'm gonna pack my hops in jars. I have 4 lbs in bags and that took a lot of bags and a **** ton of time.

9.50. Minus the 10% off I can give you.

Barron just set up a rewards program for everyone that buys all the ingredients for a recipe at the shop. It can be your own recipe or one of ours. You buy 5 recipes (all ingredients) and we take the average from them and that's your credit towards the 6th.

so if I spend say 20 average on 5 recipes, the 6th is free up to 20 dollars?

well either way I have so much hops that that deal won't work for me for a gooood long while

but the yeast at 9.50 -10% isn't taht bad. it's not supercheap but it's definitely doable and reasonable. especially since I will slant it anyway.

I just hope there's a light out back there.

if it makes you feel good I made 4 batches with tap water.

the first one I just tried. doesn't taste so hot but it's only been 7 days in bottles so we'll see. if it really does suck I made 4 sucky batches just for wanting to save 5 dollars a batch.... stupid right?

if it makes you feel good I made 4 batches with tap water.

the first one I just tried. doesn't taste so hot but it's only been 7 days in bottles so we'll see. if it really does suck I made 4 sucky batches just for wanting to save 5 dollars a batch.... stupid right?

You caught it a lot quicker than I did. We're talking almost 10 batches that weren't good. I'm pretty anal about brewing and I couldn't figure it out to save my life. All I had to do was change water source. Problem solved. Now I'm trying to brew enough to refill the pipeline. I'm gonna brew Saturday while I'm at work.

that's right, getting paid to drink and brew.

suck it.

I hate you!

I'd be there if I weren't in Jacksonville!

but yeah this was supposed to fill my pipeline, that was the plan. I had 6 batches altogether that sucked though the other 2 I blame skip for substituting my ekgs for something high AA like chinook or nugget because the bitter is undrinkably bitter. and the otehr I must have ****ed up or something...

yeah thes e 6 batches were parto of the plan to fill my pipeline and it looks as if Ill have to drink to learn...

but yeah I hope the 3 batches I habven't tasted are fine and it was just something I messed up on for this one irish red...

dammit!

He substituted Northern Brewer for EKG (which we had plenty of). NB AA is around 8%, EKG is around 5%. That explains the bitterness. I'd say give that one some time and it might come around.

I'm drinking my Hop Burst Pale Ale that was brewed 8/22. This beer is just now coming around, but at the same time has lost all of it's hop character due to it's age. It was mostly a late hopped beer with a .5 oz just for bittering. The more I drink it the more I like it, though. I used 2 lbs of Munich and it really comes through now.

I kicked the keg of Vienna/Centennial SMaSH tonight. So I'll probably bring a keg of this beer to our Thursday night brew.

Which by the way, we're getting together for a Thursday night brew next Thursday night behind the shop if anyone wants to come. We're allowed to sleep in the shop if anyone get's really trashed. :tank:

I just can't figure out what to brew this weekend.

8/22? Damn. I think that's close to when I brewed the esb. Probably 2 weeks after that. I had no idea northern brewer was that much higher than EKG. I remember putting it into beersmith. Or so I thought. I didn't have a scale then so I think I did use all the NB

for this weekend make something more malty, you're loaded with ipas.

Ooo! Barleywine! It may be ready for st pattys! I'm gonna make that imperial stout for st pattys

Next Thursday (11/5) I'm free. I'd love to come watch some wort boil.

saweeeet.

8/22? Damn. I think that's close to when I brewed the esb. Probably 2 weeks after that. I had no idea northern brewer was that much higher than EKG. I remember putting it into beersmith. Or so I thought. I didn't have a scale then so I think I did use all the NB

for this weekend make something more malty, you're loaded with ipas.

Yeah, I'm on my like 5th pint now. It's not too bad.

You know, at first I was thinking of doing the Munich/NB SMaSH again, then I decided I really wanted to do an amber. But we just don't have the grains I wanna use at the shop right now. So I decided on an all Amarillo IPA.

I guess I do have a lot of hoppy beers. Well let's see .. 2 Pale Ales and 1 IPA (RIP Vienna/Cent). But man, I just got this pound of Amarillo and I've never used it and I'm dying to see what it's like. I need to make a brown ale (a good one) sometime. There's always next weekend.

btw I now have 9 pounds of hops... so my near future (6 months or so) will be jampacked with IPAs and very big beers (to use up the Magnum and Nugget)

did I mention I love IPAs and big beers? **** YES it's gonna be a good winter!

so I am gonna put in an order at amazon for the sq14.

I thought about the sp10 or the banjo burners but I like that the sq14 has very little propane usage (I've read 5-6 batches per tank) which is great I think.

what are y'alls experiences? shouldI go for it?

Back