Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well no meeting decision but next thursday (as in 6 days from now) we will be brewing at hoggetown. my first AG. chris was kind enough to let me use his burner and also use the back of hoggetowne (like as far as lighting, hoses and things like that)

hey gainesville crew. i just signed up on this forum and only thought that it seemed fit for my first post to be on this thread.

heya matt! or at least that's what I assume your name to be....

yeah, its my name followed by my birthday. my creativity suffers in the word department. i guess thats why im an engineer and not an english teacher.

How's it going, Matt. We're getting together this Thursday night at Hoggetowne Ale Works to brew if you're interested.

cool, i might stop by. what time are you guys meeting?

I'm thinking of starting no later than maybe 7:30? maybe earlier if you guys want. I do need to wakeup around 8 on friday so I don't want to be at hoggetowne past 1 or 2.

but if we stay past that, it wouldn't be the end of the world!

hahaha, no way! I would end up stuck for sure. that's just my luck.

On a completely unrelated note, I LOVE the taste of Marris Otter.

Seriously, it's amazing. I wanna buy a pound to eat. ok that's a little much but it is good.

what do you think about upping the recipe from 12 lbs 2row to 14 lbs ?

also, you weren't kidding about the yeast floculating on the stirplate. this is crazy!

photo26.jpg

what do you think about upping the recipe from 12 lbs 2row to 14 lbs ?

also, you weren't kidding about the yeast floculating on the stirplate. this is crazy!

Told ya, my starter of 007 changed drastically within a 2 hours.

Hey Chris, quick question for ya, do you know if the yeast nutrient the store sells is DAP or not?

No idea, don't even know what DAP stands for.

everyone come out to hoggetowne on thursday night! What time are you thinking chris? 7? 8?

I have a meeting at 5:30 so I can probably make it 7 and later

So shall we up to 14 or 15lbs to increase og??

I'm just worried about an og of 1077 with 91 ibus.

We're at 13lbs now with estimated OG of 1.080 at 70%. I have a feeling you'll get a little more than 70%, especially if we double batch sparge. We can certainly go up on the base malt if you want. Let me know how high you wanna go and I'll punch the numbers in. I'll get all the volumes and **** wrote down tonight.

everyone come out to hoggetowne on thursday night! What time are you thinking chris? 7? 8?

I have a meeting at 5:30 so I can probably make it 7 and later

I get home around 6:30 pm. I have a keg up at hoggetowne already and I'll probably pick up that brown ale/porter since it will be a little chilly out. Maybe even the cider. I'm down for whenever. I can come home real quick, pick up the kegs, feed the animals and head up there. I could probably make it there at 7.

I was planning on bringing my porter by if that affects your decision Chris. Also a moment of silence for my golden strong infected like you wouldn't believe. Actually has a good sour though, think I'll let it sit the month and then throw some pureed cherries in.

I was planning on bringing my porter by if that affects your decision Chris. Also a moment of silence for my golden strong infected like you wouldn't believe. Actually has a good sour though, think I'll let it sit the month and then throw some pureed cherries in.

Awe man, is that the one you just got the ingredients for?

Hahahaha man all it means is you get the same sale outa me again in a few weeks or so. Well not entirely the same, but yeah i'm not letting this stop me from making my monster brew.

I'm bringing me plus 2 maybe 3.

umm

I think we can hit 1.09 so however much grains would take to hit that at 75% (no beersmith at work here)

and yeah. that's about it I think. tomorrow's gonna be awesome! let's aim for 7-7:30 is that cool with everyone?

I'm thinking 14 lbs is gonna be the sweet spot.

also, I don't remember if i have 40l at home... I think I do. (Im at work), I know I have 60. if I don't then we gots some milling to do when we get to the shop...

Im thinking if we get there and setup at maybe 7:30 we can have the mash starting at about 8. mash for 60 (though Im thinking maybe 75... I mean we can just sit and drink and talk anyway) till 9, then drain and batch sparge twice, so that'd be about... 9:30

crank up the heat, boil by 10, end at 11, cool cleanup hangout midnight-1ish

sound good?

I have to do some work @ UF tonight, but I'll try to stop by before and say hi.

Im thinking if we get there and setup at maybe 7:30 we can have the mash starting at about 8. mash for 60 (though Im thinking maybe 75... I mean we can just sit and drink and talk anyway) till 9, then drain and batch sparge twice, so that'd be about... 9:30

crank up the heat, boil by 10, end at 11, cool cleanup hangout midnight-1ish

sound good?

Sounds good.

I have to do some work @ UF tonight, but I'll try to stop by before and say hi.

Awesome. If the front door is locked we'll be around back.

Found a woman on craigslist that etches beer mugs for $12. She's trying to see if she can get my logo to work. I've been wanting one for a long time.

Just search for "beer" in the Gainesville area.

I enjoyed meeting everyone and their great beers. I'll definitely stop by the tailgate on Saturday!

It was good meeting the ones I didn't know!

Quick update on the brew. Glad we upped the grains. Ended up 1075 meaning 65% efficiency.

Very weak. But it's my first time and I have faith.

Pitched the yeast now I'm headed to class. Hopefully it won't be exploding web I get home. Need to add fermcap probably

I second Ed on solidifying the club, and by that I mean I wouldn't mind having a routine like every Monday night meet as so and sos house or whatever

shooting for 70% next time!

(one thing that puts me at ease is that I've read on here a few times that when people go for big beers their efficiency drops 10%, don't crush my dreams!)

Back