FYI... DON'T Drink and Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuchoGusto

Reaction score
It's self explanatory... I'm sure it will turn out fine! Spaten Optimator is a bad thing when you need all your facilities. :):):):D:D:D

Brewing is usually a solitary activity for me. I'd much rather enjoy a beer in the company of others in the afternoon rather than by myself at the crack of dawn when all I'm doing is staring at a propane burner.

The ONE time I've brewed stone cold sober is the ONE time I've somewhat seriously injured myself while brewing (I burnt the hell out of my leg). I'll never brew sober again...

I always enjoy a cold home brew while I'm brewing. Enjoy your hard work while working hard!

The ONE time I've brewed stone cold sober is the ONE time I've somewhat seriously injured myself while brewing (I burnt the hell out of my leg). I'll never brew sober again...

The only 2 times I've brewed sober, I have:

-Accidentally disconnected my transfer tube in the middle of transferring a Belgian Saison to secondary

-Broke my thermometer (with the little black pellet thingies) into my entire batch of cooling imperial stout

Consuming beer + brewing more beer = good juju.

Not having a beer forces me to fixate on every single thing that could be going wrong. Easier to have one and let it happily boil away.

1 OR 2 during the mash, another 1 or 2 during the boil. Makes for an absolutely perfect day. :mug: Woo Hoo 300 posts!

If I am brewing a simple batch, then I'm a drinkin' a homebrew. :mug:

If I need to concetrate about the batch, then I can wait 'till it's time to "chill". ;)

I came up slightly short hitting an OG of 1.052. I think I came in around 1.048 or .046. Being a little tipsy I did a reading after topping off and had 1.030 which lead me to post this thread. I stirred things up this morning after 11 hours in and had 1.044. I had made a starter and had good action 6 hours after pitching.

I'm brewing another batch this afternoon. I'm putting a baby bottle nipple on the Optimator and sippin' her real slow! :D

The only 2 times I've brewed sober, I have:

-Accidentally disconnected my transfer tube in the middle of transferring a Belgian Saison to secondary

-Broke my thermometer (with the little black pellet thingies) into my entire batch of cooling imperial stout

Consuming beer + brewing more beer = good juju.
Come to think of it, I was sober the time I broke my thermometer in the batch. That was a couple years ago so I'd forgotten about it.

So yeah, brewing sober is bad. I have the scar to prove it.

No more than 3 pre-boil. Drink away once the boil has started.

After once forgetting to pitch the yeast, I limit myself to no more than two beers during my brew day. Once the yeast is pitched, and I'm getting ready to shower, however...................

I don't like to drink while I'm brewing. Too busy doing everything needed,& like to concentrate on the task at hand. Besides,I just don't feel it as much when concentrating on brewing stuff. So I wait till after clean up to have a few with my wife. We like to relax with some brews & watch videos.

I sometimes get to brew on a weekday, but then have to go get my child from school, so no drinking (other than coffee or juice). Other times, I will have a couple during the batch.

On my last brew-day (previous Saturday) I did a double-batch plus rack from a primary to keg plus cleaned out some kegs with PBW and then StarSan, all intermixed. Some of this was done outside (where it was cold) like boiling the wort and cleaning the kegs, some inside like heating the mash and sparge water, racking etc. At the peak it was pretty hectic, and since I was doing this by myself, I was glad I delayed drinking until towards the end (when the only thing left was finishing the boil and chilling/pitching the wort).

Back