Future Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMedic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My name is Jason and I live up in the NW corner of Louisiana where I've decided make homebrewing a hobby. I've been snooping around online looking for books to get me started and I think I've found a few I'll pick up when I get to the bookstore.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to purchase all my equipment online as there isn't a store nearby (unless somebody here knows of one in the Shreveport area).

Anyways, I hope to be making my 1st batch of beer in the near future. Are there any southerners here who have had some difficulty brewing beer in the heat and humidity of the deep south? If there are, any trick of the trade you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

My commercial beer of choice is a Texas brew, Shiner Bock. Since my job takes me to Asia quite often, I find myself drinking a lot of Tiger Beer. Not bad but a little salty.

Anyways, any tips and criticisms are taken, and once I get the info and the kit, I'll fill you in on the progress of my 1st batch of beer.

Thanks,
Jason

there are quite a few guys on here from TX, and they have various ways of getting around the heat. common methods include:

(1) ferment in the basement (if you have it)
(2) use an old refridgerator
(3) put the fermenter into a waterbath and occasionally put ice in it

I'm sure there are more ways to skin the cat. (I use #2 in the summer.)

-walker

Thanks for the quick tip. Since a basement is totally out of the question I may have to pursue the fridge option since I know the wife will make sure my hobby stays out of the house and in the garage with the rest of my "man stuff"

Hey Jason, I just saw your post about looking for supplies around Shreveport, La.

You're in luck. The BeerSlayer is in Grand Cane, La about 30 miles south of you. I went there last weekend (it's 3 hour drive for me.) He worked me up a receipt for Pale Ale and had all the ingredents, I bought some bottles and a tap also.

Finchlake

Homebrewer form Haile!

Latest posts

Back