Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you put her in time out! my MIL drinks BL and CL on ice. otherwise it tastes too strong or "dark".

I believe it was the anal gland for the raspberry. which is now the reason I had to give up on of my favorite hard candies.

It's all coming back to me now.

I hope you put her in time out! my MIL drinks BL and CL on ice. otherwise it tastes too strong or "dark".

There's a regular at the place we go for bar trivia that does that. I don't know if he...

A) Can't drink a beer if it gets warmer than 35°.
B) Thinks his Bud Light doesn't taste watery enough already, or
C) Somehow thinks that the glass full of ice makes him drink slower when he's there for several hours.

At the company Christmas party recently. A coworker I'd had over for a few was talking with a skeptical "Bathtub Brew eh?" guy. I brought a case of Centennial Blonde to the party. The guy who had a few pints at my place the weekend before: "That's good beer. I mean if you don't like that beer you're an idiot or something!"

Huge hit, everybody loved it.

There's a regular at the place we go for bar trivia that does that. I don't know if he...

A) Can't drink a beer if it gets warmer than 35°.
B) Thinks his Bud Light doesn't taste watery enough already, or
C) Somehow thinks that the glass full of ice makes him drink slower when he's there for several hours.

funny thing is my MIL thinks it's something special & unique. she kinda brags about it. "I like my beer on ice! " no, you like CL flavored ice water.

I'm pretty sure I've told this one here before, but I'll tell it again.
I worked with a guy in Wyoming that usually drank whatever light beer was closest, but he really did love many styles of beer. he and his wife were in Spearfish, SD for some reason and stopped in at Crow Peak. they both order the 11th Hour IPA. the 2 owners (at the time) used to work the floor quite a bit. the brewer of the 2 brought their beers out. my coworkers wife quickly slammed 1/2 of it and proceeded to fill the rest with Clamato. the brewer was all, "OMG!! What are you doing to my beer?!?" my coworker says, "She does that to every beer she drinks. I don't get it either."

as per Wikipedia.

Castoreum /kæsˈtɔriəm/ is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac which is, in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both beaver genders possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4] Castor sacs are a type of scent gland.

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

What is even more scary, is that when trappers talk about beaver caster they mean the actual gland the but juice comes from! We use them dried and ground up to make lures for many different fur bearers.

as per Wikipedia.

Castoreum /kæsˈtɔriəm/ is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac which is, in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both beaver genders possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4] Castor sacs are a type of scent gland.

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

I'm gonna guess it doesn't work for lady fur.
:pipe:

Billy,
it must work very well for both man fur and lady fur, It sells to perfume' and calogne makers for big money! LoL

Just last weekend my mother was telling me how barley upsets he stomach and she can't eat beef and barley soup, as she's drinking her miller light.
She also claims to be lactose intolerant but half the cheeses and things she claims give her trouble don't contain lactose, and every time I talk to her she has another story of how she accidentally ate butter or something and miraculously didn't have any reaction.

I was in the LHBS weighing out some hops when a somewhat older gentleman walks in.

Customer: Hi, I was hoping you could help me put together a recipe.
LHBS: Ok! What do you want to make?
Customer: Well, something a little on the dark side, but not too dark.
(I manage to not roll my eyes, even though I had my back to him)
LHBS: Ok. Umm, well what kind of beer do you like?
Customer: Uh... well I had some Dos Equis the other day. That was pretty good.
LHBS: ... I think I've got a Dos Equis clone recipe around here somewhere.

Just last weekend my mother was telling me how barley upsets he stomach and she can't eat beef and barley soup, as she's drinking her miller light.
She also claims to be lactose intolerant but half the cheeses and things she claims give her trouble don't contain lactose, and every time I talk to her she has another story of how she accidentally ate butter or something and miraculously didn't have any reaction.

I have a mother who will not drink my wine because of an "allergy to sulfates",
But she consume so many things with sulfates...
She wont drink beer because of an "allergy to grain" but eats bread!

I was at a New Years Eve party a few years back and my older sister decided she wanted to try my Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Her face crunched up in disgust as she proclaimed: "It tastes like poison from a poisonous poison thing!"

Hmf.

She probably has problems with FODMAPs. Many people do, but the majority these days are convinced the problem is gluten intolerance, because the GF diet is so heavily marketed and cutting out gluten incidentally eliminates many of the major sources of FODMAP sugars from the standard american diet.

Oh wait, that wasn't funny at all. Sorry.

What is even more scary, is that when trappers talk about beaver caster they mean the actual gland the but juice comes from! We use them dried and ground up to make lures for many different fur bearers.

Wow, all sorts here on the forum. It has been 25 years since I set steel but I still get trapper magazine just as a reminder. Not that many people in the US trap, and not many brew in the overall population. Figure the overlap in those data sets has to quite small.

When I was in auto tech in high school, I had classmates that trapped muskrat in Elyria. I think some of their parents made wine, but I'm the only brewer I guess.

Wow, all sorts here on the forum. It has been 25 years since I set steel but I still get trapper magazine just as a reminder. Not that many people in the US trap, and not many brew in the overall population. Figure the overlap in those data sets has to quite small.

I've trapped, but only to eliminate nuisance beaver.

^^ With steel toed sneakers. bless yea!

I was raised on a farm.The beaver dam the creeks and it floods the bottoms. That's the best grazing/ hay fields. Kill 'em! Kill 'em all!

Yup. Let God sort'em out! Yeah, they dammed up some of my best fishin' holes as well. Had to get rid of it on the neighbor's side in PA. Nice trout fishing in the deep hole in the creek across the Drake Highway.

on the topic of beavers: my maternal grandpa made live beaver traps. after retiring as the head electrician at his local VA, then a small time rancher, he bought into the Hancock Trap Co. and built those things for about a decade.

on the beer note: last night my MIL kept asking if I had any "light beer". lady, how many years you known me? how many times you seen me with a light beer (by your odd standards)? I offered her some of that ancient BL they left with us. she passed on that.

I'm proud to say that this is my 30th year trapping. I wish I learned to brew back then too! I love to do both! :rockin:

I also have a coon hound! I must be nuts!

My blue tick is out of the same litter as the 2011 national grad champion. He's pretty good, but he isn't anywhere near that good. LoL. He finds me a few coon every year. :)

When mine was a pup, he used to see the neighbor's cat coming into HIS territory ( cue Sepultura territory here). He'd look at me, wagging his little tail, as if to say " can I huh? Huh? Oh please"! I'd say, " git'em boy" & he'd tree the cat in the fur tree next to the back porch, howling in his little puppy voice. That was really cool.:rockin:

Corn on the cob is the best beaver bait. Beaver is the best bear bait, outside of standing corn and bee hives. I got my first trapping license 44 years ago.

That was about the time my sidekick and I came across some home brew his dad and uncle made, which keeps this beer related.

But mine kept the mice out of my brewing stuff. One cat we had used to kill & eat snakes & large spiders in & around the house when we had babies around. One time, my wife had our daughter in her stroller while working on flower beds outside. A young black snake crawled up the leg of the stroller. Tigger literally tore it a new one!

My son found a spider in the house the other day and points it out to the cat. This cat is so dumb it paws at it a couple of times then wants petted . He points to the spider walking away. Sniffs it and walked away wanting more petting. After about the 5 time of point and paw we give up and step on it. The only thing that this cat likes is to play fetch and be petted. When I call her I whistle and say come here puppy. During the day she will randomly bring things (usually folded pieces of paper or receipts) and want me to throw them so she can fetch them. I'm dreading the day when it is a mouse. :cross:

I believe it was the anal gland for the raspberry. which is now the reason I had to give up on of my favorite hard candies.

How in the hell can it possibly be easier to chase down a beaver and milk a bit of juice out of its anus and do this repeatedly? And now that you have pissed off the beaver by grabbing its ass a few times how can you manage to get a hold of it without getting bit by those big ass teeth? Wouldn't it just be easier to grow some damn berries and maybe have Billy Klubb come and punch them. Also maybe tastier!

How in the hell can it possibly be easier to chase down a beaver and milk a bit of juice out of its anus and do this repeatedly? And now that you have pissed off the beaver by grabbing its ass a few times how can you manage to get a hold of it without getting bit by those big ass teeth? Wouldn't it just be easier to grow some damn berries and maybe have Billy Klubb come and punch them. Also maybe tastier!

but my FIL doesn't like the seeds in the berries. and that, as I have found out, is a fact.

I hear the that the beavers grow to like it and come runnin when you call, after a spell that is. It's tricky at first though, at least that's what I hear. LoL

I hear the that the beavers grow to like it and come runnin when you call, after a spell that is. It's tricky at first though, at least that's what I hear. LoL

Like I said, my first license was a few years back. I'm just not up to running them up to corral like we used to. I remember those herds of 15 to 20 thousand and all we had to do was squeeze butt.

That's really is funny, I'm a trapper too!

image.jpg

Like I said, my first license was a few years back. I'm just not up to running them up to corral like we used to. I remember those herds of 15 to 20 thousand and all we had to do was squeeze butt.

Chasing beaver will keep you young, or if you've been out of it for a while it will make you feel young once again.

*Disclaimer* I am not a doctor but I did meet a guy, that knew a guy, that had gone to the doctor once. Or maybe he stayed at a Holliday Inn or something.

Back