Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I can believe that. The aggression though is total overkill. I just hope those dont meet up with the Japanese Godzilla hornets and some jerkwad start playing some Marvin Gaye. Then we will have to bow down to our new bee-overlords

If you do not know what type we are referring to this is it.

japanese-giant-hornet.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Okay, so it's highly modified, thus no protein rest. But what kind of extraction can I expect? Maximum dry basis fine grind is? And can I expect I'll get 75, 80%? And if I do a BIAB, grind it into wasp paste (not having to fear a stuck sparge) can I get 90% efficiency and full conversion in 5 minutes? Geez people, I need details!

Okay, so it's highly modified, thus no protein rest. But what kind of extraction can I expect? Maximum dry basis fine grind is? And can I expect I'll get 75, 80%? And if I do a BIAB, grind it into wasp paste (not having to fear a stuck sparge) can I get 90% efficiency and full conversion in 5 minutes? Geez people, I need details!

Paste will work just toss in some rice hulls and you'll be fine. 100 batches in and nay a stuck sparge with wasp paste.

Interesting story. A good documentary about bees to watch is 'More Than Honey' on Netflix.

There's this fact that the most expensive beer is the Vielle Bon Secours that one bar can afford to sell it, the beirdrome, in london.

If you do not know what type we are referring to this is it.

japanese-giant-hornet.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

I generally don't mind bugs / bees too much (as long as they don't sting me.)
Spiders and millipedes are a different story - just too many damn legs on the things. :drunk:
But if I saw that thing coming at me, I would scream like a little girl and run the other way as fast as I can...not to mention hearing it - I bet that thing sounds like a freakin' P-51 Mustang coming at you. :eek:

I don't mind many of our fellow creatures, but spiders do it for me. Here's what I deal with in my garage. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409459105.361270.jpg
Found this guy accidentally trapped a couple days ago.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409459135.727108.jpg
Took a few q-tips and a bunch of crisco, but I got him loose from the sticky pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't mind many of our fellow creatures, but spiders do it for me. Here's what I deal with in my garage. View attachment 221059
Found this guy accidentally trapped a couple days ago.View attachment 221060
Took a few q-tips and a bunch of crisco, but I got him loose from the sticky pad.

I hate, HATE, spiders. Burn that mutha to tha ground I say. Just kidding just kill the disgusting bastards.

Any kind of bees & spiders do it for me. I can't trust bees & don't like anything with fangs that can look at me 8 ways at once. Creepy damn things...

.View attachment 221060

Bad day for that guy. At the warehouse I worked I was the one to dispatch the critters that made the glue trap rock back and forth. Mice got the (outdoor) concrete block euthanasia, the crappy one to deal with was the bird. Got him freed up and walking around on the grassy field next door to the place.

All the horse flies have collected enough DNA from me that they could make a clone of me to brew beer.

Any kind of bees & spiders do it for me. I can't trust bees & don't like anything with fangs that can look at me 8 ways at once. Creepy damn things...

A brown recluse is limited in that he can only look at you six ways at once. Doesn't keep them from being creepy bastards though. I have learned a lot about them by killing them. They stalk like a cat. Just slowly walking along. And they run like hell when they see you. I do have a newfound fondness of other spiders now. Anything that eats their food and runs them out is a friend of mine. Those little furry big eyed jumping spiders are supposed to hunt down brown recluses. I got excited when I saw one yesterday.

A brown recluse is limited in that he can only look at you six ways at once. Doesn't keep them from being creepy bastards though. I have learned a lot about them by killing them. They stalk like a cat. Just slowly walking along. And they run like hell when they see you. I do have a newfound fondness of other spiders now. Anything that eats their food and runs them out is a friend of mine. Those little furry big eyed jumping spiders are supposed to hunt down brown recluses. I got excited when I saw one yesterday.

Yeah, most spiders have 6 eyes, some 8. but it's funny how the brown recluse will at least try to run & hide when it spots you. Shy little fellers, for sure. I've learned a few things watching it in one of my Adam's Needle (Yucca Filamentosa). He/she/it (He ****, what?) likes to hide in the base of the plant. I have some jumping spiders from time to time in my Prober tuner. Little black hairy buggers with white banded legs. somebitches like to build webs at the point where my dashboard meats the windscreen. But it's the barkin' spiders I hate the most! They make a funky noise & their breath stinks!

I was in a store last week browsing the craft beer and overheard a couple of guys talking about brewing. One guy explained to the other that on the recommendation of another experienced brewing friend, he has started hitting his wort with a minute or so with his oxygen stone once fermentation has stopped. "It makes the yeast hungrier so they make a little more alcohol". The other guy stared at him quizzically and goes " uhhh.... ok....?". I hope that first guy likes the taste of cardboard.

I was in a store last week browsing the craft beer and overheard a couple of guys talking about brewing. One guy explained to the other that on the recommendation of another experienced brewing friend, he has started hitting his wort with a minute or so with his oxygen stone once fermentation has stopped. "It makes the yeast hungrier so they make a little more alcohol". The other guy stared at him quizzically and goes " uhhh.... ok....?". I hope that first guy likes the taste of cardboard.

Oh you didn't know? It's all the rage for barleywines. It's this new process called accelerated aging. It gives you that 2 year old flavor in a 2 week old bottle. Delicious, delicious brown paper towels...mmmm...

Hooray!! Back to the thread title.

I was at the Cubs game today with seats in the Budweiser Patio which gives the patio seat holders all the food and beer you want free as part of your tickets (guess what two beers they serve). I went up got my food from the vendor and asked for a beer.

Me: and a Bud as well.

Vendor: Which one, the light or the heavy?

Me: ...um...heavy?

I was at the Cubs game today with seats in the Budweiser Patio which gives the patio seat holders all the food and beer you want free as part of your tickets (guess what two beers they serve). I went up got my food from the vendor and asked for a beer.

in our area everyone refers to BL as Bud and the regular as Bud Heavy. drives me nuts. it should be blegh & blegher.

What does this have to do with bees or spiders?! :confused:

Had a good one while drinking at the bar. I told a guy that on a naturally carbed beer you really dont want to drink the last quarter inch of the beer and for best flavor it really should be drank out of a glass. His response was "That is BS and there is no such thing as a beer that isnt naturally carbed. If it isnt then it isnt truly beer." at this point he was swigging a yuengling. He then proceeeded to tell me that he had lived in Belgium and that he knew more about beer than anyone at the bar.

This thread is exactly why I go out of my way to not talk to other people when I'm at a drinking establishment.

Had a good one while drinking at the bar. I told a guy that on a naturally carbed beer you really dont want to drink the last quarter inch of the beer and for best flavor it really should be drank out of a glass. His response was "That is BS and there is no such thing as a beer that isnt naturally carbed. If it isnt then it isnt truly beer." at this point he was swigging a yuengling. He then proceeeded to tell me that he had lived in Belgium and that he knew more about beer than anyone at the bar.

Wow. You were in the presence of a beer god. I hope you payed your respects and didn't offend him with your silly thoughts.

Drinking at a local watering hole... guy tells me he only drinks BL from a bottle because the tap beer gets you drunk faster... when I asked him why he thought that he said it was because the stuff on tap had more carbonation. :confused:

cubs fan get free beer? i guess they have to get something:D

Love this thread and I'm bored at work and new on this forum so I thought I might pitch in!

My boss and I went to a local bar that had a decent craft selection and a horrible bartender. After about a half dozen different IPA's the bartender decided to be cool and passed us a glass on the house! After the first awkward sip we realized she had given us a Shiner Bock. Nice try, thanks but no thanks.

Last week my father and brothers came in to get measured for suits for my wedding, so I took them to dinner nearby. The restaurant was fine but had a very small beer selection with zero craft beer. Knowing it would merely be a primer on a night of debauchery, I asked for a Coors light just to help the fish taco. The waiter came out with an overly frosted glass and a slightly cooler than room temp bottle of Coors and asked if he could pour it for me. Yes Jeeves. Make with the fancy.

My boss and I went to a local bar that had a decent craft selection and a horrible bartender. After about a half dozen different IPA's the bartender decided to be cool and passed us a glass on the house! After the first awkward sip we realized she had given us a Shiner Bock. Nice try, thanks but no thanks.

So let me get this straight. You were drinking at a bar and the bartender gave you a free beer, which you rejected.

How exactly does this fall in to the category of "funny things you've overheard about beer"?

I must be missing something.

So let me get this straight. You were drinking at a bar and the bartender gave you a free beer, which you rejected.

How exactly does this fall in to the category of "funny things you've overheard about beer"?

I must be missing something.

That story itself is a funny thing overheard about beer. To boil it down, some guy was offered a perfectly good beer and rejected it because he only drinks IPAs.

Back