Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The greatest California invention of all time, the bikini. That is all. :D

Well...actually....:off:

The bikini can be seen in Roman mosaics. It was "re-introduced" by a French Engineer in 1946. Not really Californian at all. Although there are many fine examples of properly stuffed bikinis to be found on Californian beaches.

:tank:

I was at a party of few years ago with all BMC drinkers and asked this guy if he wanted to try my IPA and he said "naw I don't like that dark stuff, like Newcastle"

I was at a party of few years ago with all BMC drinkers and asked this guy if he wanted to try my IPA and he said "naw I don't like that dark stuff, like Newcastle"
Just finished some Newkie Browns; my local Rite Aid pharmacy was selling it for $10.99 a 12 pack.

Not a life-altering experience, but I think I got my money's worth.

I don't like the light lagers from BMC, but their offshoots do make some good beers. Blue Moon winter ale was one of my favorites for a long time and I still buy them by the case when they are in season.

I wish Blue Moon labeled their products more clearly. I tried one from an assortment pack that I really liked. Just the right level of banana. I have no idea which one it was though.

Just finished some Newkie Browns; my local Rite Aid pharmacy was selling it for $10.99 a 12 pack.

Not a life-altering experience, but I think I got my money's worth.

They're not bad beers at all but I think it's safe to say that it is not a dark beer.

uncleben113 said:
They're not bad beers at all but I think it's safe to say that it is not a dark beer.

That's why dark and light are terrible descriptors for beer. You are the only one who knows what you are talking about!

On a tour of Berkshire Brewing Company this past weekend. Crowded tour. At one point I found myself standing next to a guy who I suspected was a homebrewer by a question he had asked a couple of minutes before.

The tour guide is talking about their IPA and he mentions dry hopping. From right behind me, I hear one woman ask her friend what dry hopping is. Me and the assumed homebrewer both perk up our ears and kind of half turn around. This is roughly how her friend answers:

"Well, normally they brew beers with hops that are freshly picked, but with IPAs they dry the hops first so that they're more bitter."

During this answer, me and the other guy are watching her explain it, and we're both champing at the bit to jump in. She obviously sees this and she immediately says with a satisfied smirk, "Looks like I got to that one before you, guys!"

We both exchanged a look, laughing, and just nodded and shrugged.

On a tour of Berkshire Brewing Company this past weekend. Crowded tour. At one point I found myself standing next to a guy who I suspected was a homebrewer by a question he had asked a couple of minutes before.

The tour guide is talking about their IPA and he mentions dry hopping. From right behind me, I hear one woman ask her friend what dry hopping is. Me and the assumed homebrewer both perk up our ears and kind of half turn around. This is roughly how her friend answers:

"Well, normally they brew beers with hops that are freshly picked, but with IPAs they dry the hops first so that they're more bitter."

During this answer, me and the other guy are watching her explain it, and we're both champing at the bit to jump in. She obviously sees this and she immediately says with a satisfied smirk, "Looks like I got to that one before you, guys!"

Wow. Unbelievable. And she was so proud of herself too.

728342b5958a347ff91d4d03b197b43a.jpg

To be fair, you'd expect that the terms "dry hop" and "wet hop" would both be referring to the same type of technique, but obviously they aren't. So I can understand her confusion.

We all know that dry hop = adding any hops straight to the beer post fermentation, while wet hop = adding fresh undried hops to the beer at any point, but it would make so much more sense if different terms were used. Maybe dry hop and fresh hop?

A while back I asked a guy at the local beer store if they had any wet-hopped beers in yet, and he said "well actually any beer that isn't dry hopped is wet hopped." Bah.

I like BBC though, especially for the price. I like the River Ale a lot.

Ilan34 said:

Is their tap room open only on tour days? The website mentions a tap room, but no hours.

I really thought everybody by now, including or especially an AB/InBev Rep, would understand how much higher the profit margins are on craft beer, and would understand that businesses are supposed to maximize profit, not product volume. :confused: I guess he's just a *******.

I thought the margins on craft beer were still tight. Beer will always be a volumes game, just like most things the best way to maximise profit is to maximise volume.
I have read an article that actually was to try and convince bar owners to drop their margins on craft beer so that the actual $$ amount was similar to that of BMC - the mentality was that you would sell more of a premium product that is only $1-2 more than the BMC (instead of $3-5) and in turn bring in more money.

Question I just heard on Jeopardy went something like this:

This word for a light colored beer means kingly when spelled backwards
Answer: Lager/Regal

And I'm just sitting here sipping a Guinness black lager.

Pretty sure something from that show can apply to any situation in life.

I tell my friends they better know South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, Bob's Burgers and Archer to understand after of my jokes. A familiarity with American Dad would good as well.

I thought the margins on craft beer were still tight. Beer will always be a volumes game, just like most things the best way to maximise profit is to maximise volume.
I have read an article that actually was to try and convince bar owners to drop their margins on craft beer so that the actual $$ amount was similar to that of BMC - the mentality was that you would sell more of a premium product that is only $1-2 more than the BMC (instead of $3-5) and in turn bring in more money.

If that article is accurate it demonstrates my point that margins are higher on craft beer. When BMC buy and scale up craft breweries, they could drop the price, but they don't have to, because the competition isn't that fierce when market share is growing for the craft beer segment the way it is rightnow. If you can make the same profit selling 5 units at high margins versus 10 units at lower margins, and your competition isn't forcing you to lower margins (and at least for now, it's not), then you'd be short-sighted to squeeze your own profit chasing volume. Time enough for that game later, when craft beer is less fashionable and people are tired of paying so much for beer.

If that article is accurate it demonstrates my point that margins are higher on craft beer. When BMC buy and scale up craft breweries, they could drop the price, but they don't have to, because the competition isn't that fierce when market share is growing for the craft beer segment the way it is rightnow. If you can make the same profit selling 5 units at high margins versus 10 units at lower margins, and your competition isn't forcing you to lower margins (and at least for now, it's not), then you'd be short-sighted to squeeze your own profit chasing volume. Time enough for that game later, when craft beer is less fashionable and people are tired of paying so much for beer.

I get it, you were refering to the InBev rep saying they would buy all the craft breweries and his concern for decreasing volumes (which is more about people getting more value by buying less of a higher quality product).

While the margins on craft beer may be higher, they are still paper thin... The only time you make a good margin on craft beer is when you either a)sell it by the glass over the bar at the brewery (fantastic margin), or, b) are lucky enough to be able to self distribute (good margin).

Mega or craft, the money is definitely in volume

While the margins on craft beer may be higher, they are still paper thin... The only time you make a good margin on craft beer is when you either a)sell it by the glass over the bar at the brewery (fantastic margin), or, b) are lucky enough to be able to self distribute (good margin).

Mega or craft, the money is definitely in volume

He speaks the truth.

We all know that dry hop = adding any hops straight to the beer post fermentation, while wet hop = adding fresh undried hops to the beer at any point...

Ummm... I'm still a rookie, and I've never dry hopped, but doesn't dry hop = adding fresh hops to wort at any time after the boil or during fermentation, and wet hop = adding fresh hops to wort during the boil? And dried hops are only used in lambics, right? OK, bring on the "well actuallys".

Ummm... I'm still a rookie, and I've never dry hopped, but doesn't dry hop = adding fresh hops to wort at any time after the boil or during fermentation, and wet hop = adding fresh hops to wort during the boil? And dried hops are only used in lambics, right? OK, bring on the "well actuallys".

Those lambics use "aged hops".

Wet hopping is using freshly picked hops without drying them first. The hops you can buy at a homebrew store are pretty much all dried after picking, and probably somewhere around 99+ % of beers are brewed with dried hops. Usually hops are dried until there is very little moisture left, as it reduces the weight and volume of the hops per IBU considerably. But perhaps even more importantly, they allow the hops to last far longer, because even though they are harvested only once a year, brewers need to have them available year-round. This is also why wet-hopped ales are often called harvest ales, because that's the time of year they need to be used.

You were mostly right about what dry hopping refers to, though. It's in the fermentor after the wort has been chilled and (generally) after the yeast is pitched. Ideally, it's done after a the FG has been released, but some people will still do it while the beer is actively fermenting, though there's no real benefit (unless you really desperately need it a few days earlier into bottles) compared to waiting until afterwards.

Yup emjay explained it perfectly. "Wet hops" just refers to the fresh, undried hops pretty much straight off the vine. I think you have to use them within a matter of hours, but I'm no hop expert so I don't really know.

It is confusing, because you can "dry hop" with "wet hops" if you have them available. I do think that "fresh hop" or "harvest" are less confusing terms.

Fresh hop is the preferred term over wet hop for the sake of clarity

Emjay is correct about dry hopping being post chilling. Also, as noted, if you dry hop before FG is reached you lose something... it's a trade off between speeding the process and losing some hop character. I found on the commercial scale that I had to increase my dry hop addition by about 10% to compensate. There are, in my opinion only 2 reasons to dry hop before FG is reached 1) speeding the process (more important in a commercial setting) and 2) fermenting in a sealed vessel with a spundig (you don't want to open the fermenter and lose CO2)

JoeyChopps said:
I know your pain my daughter goes to school and tells her teacher she brewed beer with daddy during the weekend. When the tell me about it I have to explain for like 10 mins that it's not illegal.

A couple years ago my daughters teacher asked the class if they knew what yeast was used for. After all the obvious answers were said my daughter raises get hand and says, beer! At least I'm raising her right.

DoubleAught said:
A couple years ago my daughters teacher asked the class if they knew what yeast was used for. After all the obvious answers were said my daughter raises get hand and says, beer! At least I'm raising her right.

That's funny. :D
And thank you for getting this thing back on track.
This is starting to turn into the "Lets argue about things that aren't funny about beer" thread.

Not really something I overheard, but yesterday I was at the LHBS getting some stuff for my next brew and saw an elderly gentlemen just casually eating little bits of all the grains they have in stock. He said hi to me and then mentioned that he never brews with a recipe, he just likes to taste what the grains have to offer and then build a beer around that. I thought that was a damn cool approach so I stuck around to see what happened, and I watched him build a beer with about 5lbs of base malt (pilsner), and about 1/2lb of literally every single roasted or dark kilned malt on the rack..... probably about 20 of them. I like his approach, but good lord am I ever happy I don't have to drink that beer.

Latest posts

Back