Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We weren't off topic with the crazy ale vs beer thing. I find it amusing when folks that've been doing this for a while,or at least real beer snobs,don't know the difference.

Yeah,well,you can thank CAMRA for that one. There is a difference hystorically. But over here,it's called by the yeast used rather than the process & yeast,as they do. I prefer our way personally.

A local sports talk radio show was doing caller vs intern trivia and one of the questions was...

"What ingredient is not in Ale that is found in regular beer?"

Intern: "Hops" -with no hesitation
Host Missanelli: "Correct"!

My head damn near exploded, then I tried to correct the host via Twitter and he called me Skip and reiterated that Ale is NOT beer!

PEOPLE!!!!! ARGHHH :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I finally got one for this thread. Love reading the stories you guys put in btw. A guy at work has been bugging me for the longest about giving him some homebrew. I didn't want to because he's a life long coors light drinker. So I finally cave in give him a six pack of cream ale. I warned him I like beer with flavor. He comes back into work after trying some and what does he say? "Flavor is kind of strong" with an awkward expression. Then asks for more. Not gonna happen.

I hear waaaaaay too often in bars some variation of "the hoppier the better" or "the more IBU's the better." I guess they don't care about their taste buds, or have pretty much destroyed them.

Can't hate on noobs, though. We were all noobs once. And the noobs definitely help pay for this craft beer renaissance or whatever it is.

This is about cheese, but I think it's tangentially related. Just in case, I'll flag myself: :off:

One time at a sort of fancy bistro with my in-laws, we ordered a cheese plate. My father-in-law picked up one of them and, after tasting, made a grimace and said, "This tastes like the elephant house at the zoo!" He was right, too.

I've never offered him a funky brett beer. I don't think he'd make it past the aroma.

I hear waaaaaay too often in bars some variation of "the hoppier the better" or "the more IBU's the better." I guess they don't care about their taste buds, or have pretty much destroyed them.

Can't hate on noobs, though. We were all noobs once. And the noobs definitely help pay for this craft beer renaissance or whatever it is.

Nothing wrong with a good Ipa. That said I dont look for only high ibu beers when buying beers. Sometimes I am in the mood for a nice hop punch though. At least they know what an ibu is. Most people I talk to about beer have not the slightest clue. Even after I tell them, they forget within a week.

Referring to me,I think he meant getting past the 1st three days without a cig. It's actually about two weeks to get over the physical addiction. I just got tired of 5 bucks+ per pack. And wasn't enjoying the taste as much anymore...]

:off:That's almost half the price of a pack of smokes here in AK. I bought some Camel Lights for my wife Sunday and they're $9.98 a pack. She goes through about 3 - 4 packs a week.

Yikes. I was going through about $145.00 a month on smokes. UnbyGod-leavable compared to 35c for cigs & 25c for gas when I was a teen.

Yikes. I was going through about $145.00 a month on smokes. UnbyGod-leavable compared to 35c for cigs & 25c for gas when I was a teen.

I used to get Mavericks for 50c a pack when I was a teenager. got to a point I was smoking 1 1/2-2 packs non-filters a day. I smoked 18 years & gave it up about 1 1/2 years ago. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a cigarette right now.

I gave a Michelob Ultra drinking friend of mine a sip of my Harpoon Leviathan and she gave me a disgusted look and said it tasted like hairspray.

why do people always know what hairspray tastes like? I had a friend that always said Killians tasted like hairspray. we started calling it Aquanet.

Kid in my old high school used to fill his locker with hair spray and then stick his head in and huff.

Wasn't a very intelligent kid, but he knew what it tasted like I bet.

Whenever I go out for a beer or two I always have this thread in my mind hoping that somebody will say something incredibly stupid so I can come back here and share it. Finally had one last night.

I went to one of the local sports bars with my girlfriend for their "Taco Tuesday" (good tacos for cheap) and asked the obviously new waitress what micro-brews they had on tap. She gets a really confused look on her face and starts naming them... Coors Light, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite. My girlfriend cuts her off before she can name any more and says "No, he meant craft beers". "Oh!" the waitress said "in that case we have Blue Moon, Hefeweizen, Rampant IPA..." I cut her off right there and said please bring me a Rampant.
After finishing my Rampant I ask her what other craft beers they have on tap. She gets excited and tells me about the new Stone IPA that they just tapped; "it's really dark though". So I'm thinking it's a Sublimely Self-Righteous and order one of those. She comes back to me and it looks like a black IPA but it has no hop smell at all. I ask her to double check to make sure I got the right beer. She comes back and tells me "Yep, that's the Stone Porter you ordered".

:smack:

Nothing wrong with a good Ipa. That said I dont look for only high ibu beers when buying beers. Sometimes I am in the mood for a nice hop punch though. At least they know what an ibu is. Most people I talk to about beer have not the slightest clue. Even after I tell them, they forget within a week.

I also like IPA's. I just think it's a little sad that people think craftbeer = IPA. That's such a narrow, limited view of the world.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe my palate has developed to enjoy more subtlety, but it's pretty boring when all the craft beers are cranked up to 11 on some dimension or another.

image-814922913.jpg

HB Blonde. Such a gorgeous beer :D

*Edit* wrong thread :p

Whenever I go out for a beer or two I always have this thread in my mind hoping that somebody will say something incredibly stupid so I can come back here and share it. Finally had one last night.

I went to one of the local sports bars with my girlfriend for their "Taco Tuesday" (good tacos for cheap) and asked the obviously new waitress what micro-brews they had on tap. She gets a really confused look on her face and starts naming them... Coors Light, Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite. My girlfriend cuts her off before she can name any more and says "No, he meant craft beers". "Oh!" the waitress said "in that case we have Blue Moon, Hefeweizen, Rampant IPA..." I cut her off right there and said please bring me a Rampant.
After finishing my Rampant I ask her what other craft beers they have on tap. She gets excited and tells me about the new Stone IPA that they just tapped; "it's really dark though". So I'm thinking it's a Sublimely Self-Righteous and order one of those. She comes back to me and it looks like a black IPA but it has no hop smell at all. I ask her to double check to make sure I got the right beer. She comes back and tells me "Yep, that's the Stone Porter you ordered".

:smack:

I've had that sort of experience a few times, and yes, usually at sports bars. I don't expect wait staff at those places to be up on craft beer, so I save them the trouble by doing a bit of reconnaissance first. I take a quick walk by the bar to see what they have on tap before sitting down. Then I can just ask for a particular beer.

Your HB Blonde is indeed gorgeous. It fits this thread fine. Can't seem to stay on one subject.

At a concert the other night - Domestic was ML, CL and Import was Abita - (imported to Alabama from Louisiana). At least it was an IPA.

An old classic from Alabama elected representative Alvin Holmes on a proposed bill to allow higher abv beers to be sold in the state:

"Yo, What's wrong with the beer we got ? I mean the beer we got drank pretty good don't It ? I ain't never heard nobody complain about the beer we have. It drank pretty good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers? Miller, Coors, it drink pretty good don't it?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had that sort of experience a few times, and yes, usually at sports bars. I don't expect wait staff at those places to be up on craft beer, so I save them the trouble by doing a bit of reconnaissance first. I take a quick walk by the bar to see what they have on tap before sitting down. Then I can just ask for a particular beer.

I have had this happen a few times. Even got told once they don't have one after I asked the bar tender what was on tap tonight. Sever came back, said they never knew they changed the beer selection and what I ordered looked better than what everyone normally orders. I really wanted to ask if it was one of the same 3 I was told. :smack:

Billy-Klubb said:
hells, I'll say it! I like beans in my chili! in fact, I won't eat chili without beans! and I don't want to hear any argument from a state that calls all soda/pop a Coke, unless it's Dr. Pepper.

I agree. I never make or eat chili without beans. Never.

I have had this happen a few times. Even got told once they don't have one after I asked the bar tender what was on tap tonight. Sever came back, said they never knew they changed the beer selection and what I ordered looked better than what everyone normally orders. I really wanted to ask if it was one of the same 3 I was told. :smack:
Maybe I've had too many beers tonight(trying to float an old keg) but I can't make sense of this post.

On topic: I once asked a waitress what beers were available OTHER THAN Bud, Miller, or Coors. "Well, we have Bud, Miller, Coors"

Me: How about your craft beers?

Her: Oh, we have Michelob Ultra.

If craft beer = IPA, I would hate craft beer. Actually, I do like some IPAs, but they have to be pretty balanced.

Anyway...I had the old "You ever have one blowup on you?" from a customer when I was delivering some of my homebrew to the guy at the local liquor store. I jokingly told him only when I didn't keep an eye on the flame. And of course he proceeds to tell me how I can keep it from blowing up on me. I just let him feel good about giving advice to me and went about my way. Why be an ass when you don't have to be?

If craft beer = IPA, I would hate craft beer. Actually, I do like some IPAs, but they have to be pretty balanced.

Anyway...I had the old "You ever have one blowup on you?" from a customer when I was delivering some of my homebrew to the guy at the local liquor store. I jokingly told him only when I didn't keep an eye on the flame. And of course he proceeds to tell me how I can keep it from blowing up on me. I just let him feel good about giving advice to me and went about my way. Why be an ass when you don't have to be?

I hope we never meet. being an ass is what I do. (note: sarcasm) see how it works on 2 levels?:rockin:

ianw58 said:
This is the PERFECT place for your post and photo.

And it's very pretty. Almost as pretty as this one...

I might have forgot the whirlfloc in mine...but it still tastes awesome :rockin: and your labels look great!

To be on topic: bought a belgian ipa today and the person at the register said "i dont like those belgian beers, they are too dark" :smack:

Got one!

At Applebee's. I asked what the Sam Adams was on tap.

"It's their Summer Ale. It's quite hoppy! You may not like it."

Back