Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife & I were at a wine & beer tasting room/bar thing. a guy in a group of patrons noticed the Voodoo Doughnut & made comment to the bartender. I mentioned that I'd never had it, but that I've heard quite a few negative reports about it. the bartender quickly replied, "That's because people try to drink it like a real beer." my wife muttered under her breath, "My husband's been brewing for half your life. I think he knows how to drink a beer." I love my wife.

Me explaining the brew process to bartender.
Me: ...and then you add the yeast...
Bartender cuts me off
Bartender: there is yeast in beer??? Weird

my wife & I were at a wine & beer tasting room/bar thing. a guy in a group of patrons noticed the Voodoo Doughnut & made comment to the bartender. I mentioned that I'd never had it, but that I've heard quite a few negative reports about it. the bartender quickly replied, "That's because people try to drink it like a real beer." my wife muttered under her breath, "My husband's been brewing for half your life. I think he knows how to drink a beer." I love my wife.

WTF is a "real" beer? Is that like CAMRA?

I've had it. It isn't bad, but it's very, very smoky. I've had other rauchbier I couldn't drink - this one I could.

BLASPHEMY.png

Hahaha... wait.

WTF is a "real" beer? Is that like CAMRA?

I've had it. It isn't bad, but it's very, very smoky. I've had other rauchbier I couldn't drink - this one I could.

I'm guessing he was talking about standard BMC/pales/ordinary bitter/anything sessionable. I just gave him a "WTF?" look when he said that, then my wife made her comment & I smiled.

about 13 years ago I had a rauch I think was from Stone. it was 7-8oz bottle. it was stated on there that it was great for cooking with. I drank 2 or 3 of them. it was what liquid smoke hopes to be when it grows up.

Some peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Stouts & IPA's not beer?!:smack:

Took me awhile to find out IPAs weren't that popular in India. Couple friends who were from India never heard of that type of beer.

Beer. Takes years to understand its history and we are still learning.

Well,IPA's were originally sgipped to their soldiers when india,etc were still their colonial possesions. so the Brits there would know it,but the locals might not. It just gets me when folks don't know that stouts,IPA's,etc are ales...or beers,if they aren't made in the traditional ale process.

Well,IPA's were originally sgipped to their soldiers when india,etc were still their colonial possesions. so the Brits there would know it,but the locals might not. It just gets me when folks don't know that stouts,IPA's,etc are ales...or beers,if they aren't made in the traditional ale process.

Totally agree with you.

They're beers whether they are made according to "the traditional ale process" or not

A recent family trip that my dad and mom tagged along to spend time with the kids.

Me: Dad I got some local beer at the store if you want to try any.
*As I am pouring into a glass right before sitting down for dinner*
Dad: That beer looks too dark for my liking (amber ale).
Mom: Oh good sounds like something I might like.

They're beers whether they are made according to "the traditional ale process" or not

Not according to English history,& thus CAMRA. If it has hops it's beer. If it's fermented 4 days & then put into a cask to finish,it's ale. Over here,"beer" has gotten demoted to a general term.

Not according to English history,& thus CAMRA. If it has hops it's beer. If it's fermented 4 days & then put into a cask to finish,it's ale. Over here,"beer" has gotten demoted to a general term.

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. The rigid CAMRA definition is as asinine as the American notion that beer is yellow, fizzy and very loosely based on Pilsener. What makes a CAMRA wonk any more qualified to determine what is "ale" and what is "beer" than a brewmaster of German, Belgian or other descent? To a German, for instance, it is all beer and they define it further by style... it is most likely lager, but could be an ale such as Altbier or hefeweizen.

Beer is any beverage made from fermented extract of cereal grains. "Ale" and "Lager" are the two major subsets, as determined exclusively by the species of yeast used to ferment the beer. Then you have other types of beer that don't necessarily fall into either of those descriptors, such as South American Chicha or African sorghum beers.

I don't think that's correct, as an English person. We have the same ale/lager distinction you do, and the whole lot is referred to as beer.

The CAMRA definition of "real ale" is quite distinct to that and refers to an ale that undergoes natural carbonation in the vessel it's served from and is served without additional CO2. They're still referred to as beer (by me and all of the hundreds of British beer drinkers I've ever met).

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. The rigid CAMRA definition is as asinine as the American notion that beer is yellow, fizzy and very loosely based on Pilsener. What makes a CAMRA wonk any more qualified to determine what is "ale" and what is "beer" than a brewmaster of German, Belgian or other descent? To a German, for instance, it is all beer and they define it further by style... it is most likely lager, but could be an ale such as Altbier or hefeweizen.

Beer is any beverage made from fermented extract of cereal grains. "Ale" and "Lager" are the two major subsets, as determined exclusively by the species of yeast used to ferment the beer. Then you have other types of beer that don't necessarily fall into either of those descriptors, such as South American Chicha or African sorghum beers.

I agree with you, but CAMRA aren't under that illusion. They don't say that lager isn't beer.

Hey,I didn't make it up,I just repeated it. I saved an article somewhere...:drunk: But that's the gist of what was said. I go by the yeast bit myself,so whatever...

Hey,I didn't make it up,I just repeated it. I saved an article somewhere...:drunk: But that's the gist of what was said. I go by the yeast bit myself,so whatever...

Well CAMRA do have a particular definition of "real ale" as I mentioned earlier, so you may have got it from an article about that. But that doesn't mean that they don't understand the difference between ale and lager.

Plenty might disagree with then saying "real ale" is one particular thing when there's so much more that is "real" (i.e. Not commercial mega swill) that doesn't fit into their rather narrow definition. However you have to look at the history of it, at the time CAMRA was founded traditional British beer was dying out and they were just trying to promote the traditional product.

I agree with you, but CAMRA aren't under that illusion. They don't say that lager isn't beer.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was referring to, wasn't actually suggesting that CAMRA didn't consider lagers beer. More like this;

As an American I would walk into a pub in London and ask "what do you have for beer?" I always got the reply, "Do you mean beer or lager?" Now, I knew what they meant by that (beer being 'ale' and lager being, well, lager and more specifically something like a helles or pils). I would reply that yes, I wanted beer. Now, this is where I have issue with CAMRA, the definition of 'ale'... I have heard some of the CAMRA types define 'ale' in general as Unionrdr described, meaning that if it wasn't cask condition it wasn't ale at all... not sure if that is the official CAMRA position or not, but have encountered enough believers that I wouldn't care to count. Then, of course, there is the rigid definition of "real ale" (which is what I was striking out at specifically), meaning cask or bottle condition and dispensed without any external source of CO2. That it should somehow be considered "real", with anything else by default being somehow fake, whether that term is used or not, is presumptuous.

That being said, I DO applaud CAMRA's efforts in perpetuating the tradition of cask conditioning. It is important to the beer community at large that we don't lose it.

At a party near one of the BMC plants, I overheard a drunk BMC employee explaining that there were only three types of beer,
"Lagers, as in Bud, Pilsners as in Miller, and ales as in Sam Adams. Stouts are just stouts - not beer, same goes for IPA's."

Ok,let's try this again. This is the post I originally replied to. the whole thing went south from there. Def some thin skinned folks up in here. I could just imagine animal trying not to pimp slap the fool.
*OK,look under 1400-1699: Rise of hopped beer,paragraph 2. Here's the link to the wiki sub page; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_England#Middle_ages:_Ale-wands.2C_ale-wives_and_ale-conners

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was referring to, wasn't actually suggesting that CAMRA didn't consider lagers beer. More like this;

As an American I would walk into a pub in London and ask "what do you have for beer?" I always got the reply, "Do you mean beer or lager?" Now, I knew what they meant by that (beer being 'ale' and lager being, well, lager and more specifically something like a helles or pils). I would reply that yes, I wanted beer. Now, this is where I have issue with CAMRA, the definition of 'ale'... I have heard some of the CAMRA types define 'ale' in general as Unionrdr described, meaning that if it wasn't cask condition it wasn't ale at all... not sure if that is the official CAMRA position or not, but have encountered enough believers that I wouldn't care to count. Then, of course, there is the rigid definition of "real ale" (which is what I was striking out at specifically), meaning cask or bottle condition and dispensed without any external source of CO2. That it should somehow be considered "real", with anything else by default being somehow fake, whether that term is used or not, is presumptuous.

Yes well many people agree with you. The "thou shalt not use additional CO2" dogma is widely derided among "craft" beer fans (like myself) who like a decent US IPA etc etc.

But taken in context at the time it was introduced, the term makes sense because you're comparing it to the freeflow bitter piss and terrible domestic lager that were rapidly replacing it.

And the problem they have now is that when you accept one beer with added CO2, where do you stop? And the real ale "brand" is very well known, it would be hard to redefine it. That's the problem they're having now.

The CAMRA cask marque is widely used and respected, and their beer festivals are really good - I've been to three in the past year!

All CAMRA people can be trusted to know they carlsbergensis from their cerevisiae though.

Too bad the beer I just put in the fridge won't be ready till next Friday. Cause then,of course,the smoker I drink,the player I get...:D

I wasn't trying to be a troll either. Just look at the link in my post #2781 above...it's in writing as some kind of law back then.

Not in England in the 1700s you mean...

It dosen't specifically touch on that at all. just about the new "porter" being done & aged at the brewery & leaving there ready to go. Then about Burton pale ales & all. Guess some just won't admit that I wasn't mistaken or whatever...

It dosen't specifically touch on that at all. just about the new "porter" being done & aged at the brewery & leaving there ready to go. Then about Burton pale ales & all. Guess some just won't admit that I wasn'r mistaken or whatever...

You weren't, that doesn't mean it's true today though.

Ah,at last. No,you're right,I wasn't refering to today. Hell,even the German Beer purity law has been updated. but historically speaking,it was the law at the time. But tastes changed,as did drinking vessels & thus,malting & brewing methods. Now,I call it ale if it's brewed with an ale yeast,hops or whatever. But kolsh,even though it's an ale yeast,it isn't strickly so. It's more of a hybrid Between ale & lager in terms of flavor qualities. Brewing method aside.
And lagers,well...

Back