Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that gets me is when you nicely try to explain something to someone and they just won't accept it.

This kid (around my age?) overheard me order a SNPA and goes "Sierra Nevada? Nice. I love IPAs." I said me too but this is a pale ale, not an IPA and he goes "yeah, that's what I said. INDIA. PALE. ALE." Like I was stupid haha:drunk:

The thing that gets me is when you nicely try to explain something to someone and they just won't accept it.

This kid (around my age?) overheard me order a SNPA and goes "Sierra Nevada? Nice. I love IPAs." I said me too but this is a pale ale, not an IPA and he goes "yeah, that's what I said. INDIA. PALE. ALE." Like I was stupid haha:drunk:

I had a similar experience at a bar:

me: I love IPA's.
some guy: those are ok, but I like India Pale Ales. they just taste better.
me::smack: that's what IPA stands for.

I brought some homebrews to my sister's house for Christmas this year. My brother insisted on drinking it out of the bottle, which is fine, not everyone can allreciate the bouquet of a New Zealand hopped ipa, but I just wanted to let him know about the little pile of sediment at the bottom as he's finishing the bottle. He gets to the end, I warn him, to which he replies "that's the stuff that f's you up," and swigs the last sip. It was hilarious.

If by "f's you up" he meant "is gonna give him the ****s tomorrow", he was still kinda right... :D

Krovitz said:
Gillette Stadium in Foxboro MA serves Sam Adams. They even had the winner of the Sam Adams homebrew challenge on tap a couple years back for the football season.

On topic, my mother got me a bottle of beer for Christmas. She told the employee at the liquor store I like IPAs. He said, "if he likes IPAs, he'll love this..."

I figure he is either clueless or an @$$hole.

Yeah, sometimes the suggestions from employees at liquor stores are crazy.
I was in one of my go to stores yesterday and was looking for anything I haven't had yet.
Employee: Do you know what you're looking for?
Me: No, just looking for anything I might want to try.
Employee (Without asking what I like): We just got that new Budweiser in.
Me: I don't drink that stuff.
Employee: I don't blame you. (Goes about his business)

Marauder said:
Random "piney" hanging out at the liquor store (don't know if you guys will know what that is exactly, but it is NJ's version of a backwoods hillbilly, as they live in our large sections of "pinelands or pine barrens" in the southern portion of our state

"Sierra Nuh vaaa duh? What the hells that?"

Me: This is just a beer, it just a style called an IPA with lots of hops

Piney: whooooo bet that'll get you drunker than all the other stuff huh? I just drink jack, but I grew up on shine...

Before I finished rewind the post I checked to see where you were from

Today at a charity dinner I cooked for i told one of the other chefs I was more of a beer guy when he offered to buy me a shot. He came back with a corona. Oh well, it's still beer and he was nice enough to buy it

Brought a bunch of my homebrew to a party last month and my wife's friend pulled out my pale ale and said, "I love IPAs!" She proceeded to tell everyone to try my IPA. I tried to correct her the first couple times, but after that I just stayed quiet and accepted the fact that she liked it regardless of what she thinks it is.

My fiancée just raided my fridge and took three beers. She's headed to another city to visit her brother, and she said "he doesn't like good beer." Cracked me up. I've managed to turn her into a beer snob. :D

I was in line at a grocery store with a six pack of Sweetwater IPA and some 420. The guy behind me says "Is that stuff any good? I've never had it before." and I say I love it since I love beer. He then said "That's probably got more ginger ale or something in it, huh?" I just looked at him and said "Yeah, something like that."

WesleyBrewViking said:
On Saturday I gave a friend one of my homebrew IPAs, the first homebrew he's had. When he tried it he said "I think that's the least offensive beer I've ever tasted." I wasn't really sure what to think so I decided to just take it as a compliment.

Obviously not an Arrogant Bastard clone ;-)

I was sitting up a bar in the mountain about a couple weeks snowboarding and this chick drank about half of here vodka mixed drink and she was like there is a bug my drink. Like a small fruit fly and she was like there is a bug in my drink obivously she wanted more free liqour.

Also, I like people at bars that don't know the difference between lagers and ales and making false comparisions that makes me laugh.

I was in Alabama a couple of months ago on bussiness trip and I was at local resturant and I odered a snpa and I ask for another beer and recieved a torpedo this time. Apparently all serria nevada beers are the same. lol

I was working at GABF as a pourer and can't remember the brewery name I was pouring for but they had a White Chocolate Milk Stout. That was gold in color. So many people kept telling me I was pouring them the wrong beer. I was like no pretty sure. They insisted that the porter must be the chocolate milk stout so I just apolgized and poured them the porter.

I was working at GABF as a pourer and can't remember the brewery name I was pouring for but they had a White Chocolate Milk Stout. That was gold in color. So many people kept telling me I was pouring them the wrong beer. I was like no pretty sure. They insisted that the porter must be the chocolate milk stout so I just apolgized and poured them the porter.

I think 99.9% of people would assume that a stout with chocolate in the name would in fact be DARK.

Stout was transformed from meaning STRONG beer to meaning dark/roasted/etc. Add the fact that it says chocolate, though, and I think most people would think you're an idiot for pouring them a light colored beer, myself included.

I think 99.9% of people would assume that a stout with chocolate in the name would in fact be DARK.

Stout was transformed from meaning STRONG beer to meaning dark/roasted/etc. Add the fact that it says chocolate, though, and I think most people would think you're an idiot for pouring them a light colored beer, myself included.

I recall a guy recently asking about a chocolate stout he had brewed being much lighter than he had expected, even though the chocolate taste was there.

Moral of the story: beer does not have to be dark to taste like chocolate.

Same here, though you could probably be convinced with a sip of it :drunk:

Oh absolutely it doesn't have to be dark, but you're gonna get 99% of people saying you're crazy for serving something that's not dark.

My point being -- it's not unreasonable at all for one to think that the words chocolate stout should mean dark beer.

Oh absolutely it doesn't have to be dark, but you're gonna get 99% of people saying you're crazy for serving something that's not dark.

My point being -- it's not unreasonable at all for one to think that the words chocolate stout should mean dark beer.

I was trying to agree with you :fro:

I might be the crazy one here but if someone poured me a White chocolate stout I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if it was pale. I think people were missing the "white" part.

I might be the crazy one here but if someone poured me a White chocolate stout I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if it was pale. I think people were missing the "white" part.

I'd be surprised for a second or two, then it'd hit me and I'd feel like a goober for not figuring it out sooner.

If I'd been hitting the high abv beers prior to trying it, I'd be surprised until I drank it, at which point I'd laugh uproariously until people stared at me.

white chocolate is white. lol

I think you missed my point still.

I don't care if it's green chocolate, if it's got the word chocolate and stout in it, a reasonable person is going to infer that it's a dark beer.

But nevermind -- I wasn't trying to turn this into a debate or argument.

cpesko said:
I was sitting up a bar in the mountain about a couple weeks snowboarding and this chick drank about half of here vodka mixed drink and she was like there is a bug my drink. Like a small fruit fly and she was like there is a bug in my drink obivously she wanted more free liqour.

Also, I like people at bars that don't know the difference between lagers and ales and making false comparisions that makes me laugh.

And people who don't know the difference between there/their/they're make a story impossible to follow.

I was in Alabama a couple of months ago on bussiness trip and I was at local resturant and I odered a snpa and I ask for another beer and recieved a torpedo this time. Apparently all serria nevada beers are the same. lol

Honestly, if that happened to me, I'd chalk it up to a mistake rather than ignorance. They're probably on the same tower/rail/coffin, most likely next to each other. Busy bars make swaps like that all the time, and unless it's radically different in color, it's not enough to notice they pulled the wrong tap when they looked up to see some random person waving money/etc
Never had torpedo myself, but it always looked like it was very close in color to the PA... not like they handed you a Coors.

Drinking a lot of beer puts a different spin on Chubby Chasing and less concern, when your friends that new you were blind drunk, tell you who you left the bar with.

I think you missed my point still.

I don't care if it's green chocolate, if it's got the word chocolate and stout in it, a reasonable person is going to infer that it's a dark beer.

But nevermind -- I wasn't trying to turn this into a debate or argument.

At first I was with the "white" crowd but then I though about it. What makes a stout a stout = roasted barley. Even a little bit is going to make a dark beer. How did they get a stout to taste like a stout without also having it look like a stout

At first I was with the "white" crowd but then I though about it. What makes a stout a stout = roasted barley. Even a little bit is going to make a dark beer. How did they get a stout to taste like a stout without also having it look like a stout

My thoughts exactly. I would expect a white chocolate stout to be dark, but taste like stout with white chocolate in it.

Which sounds amazing, come to think of it... :D

Latest posts

Back