Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by a new little bottle shop that opened up close to home to check out the selection. I was warned about the owners of this place not knowing much about craft beer by a friend. I picked up a Gigantic Superbad coffee stout and a bottle of Firestone Walker 19 Anniversary. As one of the co-owners behind the counter was ringing me up she said that FW19 was one of her favorite sours. I was on my way home after a long day at work and didn't feel like correcting her that it was actually a blend of multiple different barrel aged beers and not sour at all so I just said "it's one of my favorite beers". Had a nice laugh on the way home. These people are clearly trying to cash in on the craft beer boom and that's all. I won't be going back with all of the other options in the area.

If the price was right and I knew what I was looking for, who cares what they know.

This. There is a beer store here where the guys know a lot about what they sell. Their prices are also ~10-15% higher.

I really don't care what they know... I'm not going to pay a premium for it because of that. I know what I'm looking for when I walk into a bottle shop anyway.

I'm sitting in the only bar within a 60 mile radius that has craft beer on tap. I always run into a beer "expert" at these places. Apparently, a self-proclaimed homebrewer adds his yeast to the mash. And no, he's not talking about distilling.

Well...after the bartender (who used to work at Terrapin) started talking about actual brewing, he shut up. Oh and he's drinking Miller Lite.

Well...after the bartender (who used to work at Terrapin) started talking about actual brewing, he shut up. Oh and he's drinking Miller Lite.

What's the issue? Miller Lite is only the best craft beer ever!
And it tastes great!

So I had some horrible mead that a guy I know made. He put fireball candy in it. He is an older man that has done this many times. He proceeded to tell me that he bought the wrong yeast and it fermented out to 80% alcohol. I just smiled and nodded. I would say though that by the taste it was in the teens. Waste of good honey

So I had some horrible mead that a guy I know made. He put fireball candy in it. He is an older man that has done this many times. He proceeded to tell me that he bought the wrong yeast and it fermented out to 80% alcohol. I just smiled and nodded. I would say though that by the taste it was in the teens. Waste of good honey

Maybe he was just drunk and 18% sounded like 80% to you?

Maybe he was just drunk and 18% sounded like 80% to you?

Nope, he embellished quite a bit about it being as strong as moonshine. Just a know it all dumb ass who not only didn't know how to read a hydrometer, but also had no knowledge of the limitations of yeast or the physical properties of alcohol.

i was sitting in as the audio tech at a beer tasting event and heard a guy insist that the more hoppy a beer the high the alcohol content, and that hops=alcohol. FUNNY!

they had an audio tech at a beer tasting event? high class, man.

I recently read on a home brewing forum so guy thought whiskey was distilled beer and port was distilled wine.

Wait...that idiot was me

Well, actually...

dead.jpg

Well, actually...

dead.jpg

If you like ocean aged, you should check out aquavit.

Legend has it that this distilled beverage was so terrible that the locals wouldn't drink it. So they decided to send it on their trade ships to south america (because everyone knows they'll drink just about anything there?). When they arrived, they found it to be drinkable, and some even found it to be quite pleasant. So now they supposedly age this stuff for a long time, though I doubt that they make it take the journey to south america and back these days.

no.

nothing about Viking or Tequila remotely resembles being anywhere close to the proximity of the area near the vicinity of the neighborhood next to anything around Mountain Dew.

?!...

Hey, a drunk, PO'd redneck can be a lot like a viking...maybe worse. Nevermind how I know. The vikings are descended from Germanic tribes spreading all over Europe. My German ancestors came to WV, owning thousands of acres, brewing wines & corn likker for centuries...got drunk, shot stuff & bbq'd! :ban:

Distilled wine is brandy. Port is just style of wine.

Although his information was disorganized and scattered, it wasn't completely all wrong.

You can after all distill beer. We call it Whiskey.

And isn't distilled wine = port?

In any case, he had the right ingredients to say something profound. He just didn't have the right formula.

;)

again, no

not even a little

I agree, not even a little.

Vikings seemed a bit barbaric at times (only because they raided and fought on their own terms, not according to anybody's rules of war), but they were highly civilized groups of people. They were also some of the first to treat women as equals.

Contrary to popular belief, rednecks are not a bunch of lazy, stupid hillbillies. Most are mountain folks with a short fuse & a lot of common sense. Just a different lifestyle. But not all have a bunch of dead cars in the yard & live in a trailer. That's a stereotype. Darn good shots too, since they live at or near someplace to practice a lot plinkin'. And you wanna talk barbaric? Piss off a redneck...

Contrary to popular belief, rednecks are not a bunch of lazy, stupid hillbillies. Most are mountain folks with a short fuse & a lot of common sense. Just a different lifestyle. But not all have a bunch of dead cars in the yard & live in a trailer. That's a stereotype. Darn good shots too, since they live at or near someplace to practice a lot plinkin'. And you wanna talk barbaric? Piss off a redneck...

Dunno, That is a bit of a stereotype as well. Rednecks, like any other group span a large range of types. True, most people think of rebel flag flying, shotgun rack in a pickup, yokels. I know many salt of the earth good nice, non aggressive, mild tempered rednecks. Heck. I have my redneck tendencies.

I got one whole side of my family full of'em. Yeah, some are non-aggressive, but all shoot, hunt, fish, or can at least dress a fresh kill. Make wine & liquor too. Good folks generally, but try not to piss'em off...:mug:

Dunno, That is a bit of a stereotype as well. Rednecks, like any other group span a large range of types. True, most people think of rebel flag flying, shotgun rack in a pickup, yokels. I know many salt of the earth good nice, non aggressive, mild tempered rednecks. Heck. I have my redneck tendencies.
Yup. Know a lot of 'em myself, and we're nowhere near a mountain range.

Latest posts

Back