Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting at the local brew pub who only serves their own beer, a couple was sitting next to me and the person unfamiliar with craft beer and this spot in particular orders a bud light. Obviously they don't server bud light but if she bothered to look at the menu she would have known that. So, the bartender brings over the most appropriate choice for her and as she sips she notices that it doesnt quite taste like water. She asks the bartender if it was bud light and he said no, they don't carry and BMC, they make it all in house. She was in such an uproar that she started to talk to me and ask if what the bartender did was okay!

Now, in my professional mind, obviously this was not okay but being that i love all things craft beer, in my head i was applauding the bartender.

I agree with your decision. Reminds me of Walmart that time in the beer isle on my broke back buggy. The guy that helped me reach some Kona, etc did so. Then goes down to the end of the cooler & says, " I'll pick the safe one"! Oh well, can't win'em all...

Yup, the bartender could have informed the customer that they don't carry that, but their blonde is the closest offering they have.
Although, it would be hard for me to be mad at the bartender too :mug:

Once at a brew pub that only serves its own beers, someone asked another person if hops add bitterness to beer. The person's response was, "No, hops only add flavor."

Here is the kicker: the person responding was the owner of the brew pub and brewery.

Haha hehe hoho...to the brewery! Where life is beautiful all the time & I'll be happy to see those bubbling buckets & they're coming to get me buzzed, hah haaaaa!! :drunk::D:tank:

So it wasn't about beer, but it was beer related and funny (in a "our culture is going to hell-in-a-handbasket" kind of way). We have problems with drugs being sold from the house next door to us, and today, getting into our car, my wife noticed some broken pieces of plastic on the ground near the car. She called my attention to them, and asked what I thought it might be. Seeing a small soft plastic lid amid the hard plastic shards, I recognized it as a three-piece airlock that I had dropped out of my materials I had taken out of my car after teaching my homebrewing class, and NOT some kind of drug paraphernalia as she thought it might be.

Co-worker "I don't like IPA's, I only drink Ales"...... I just smiled, didn't want to be "That Guy"

Technically, from a computer programming standpoint, the logic holds up.

if BEER=ale then
....If BEER =IPA then
........Dump BEER
....Else
........Drink BEER
....End If
Else
....Dump BEER
End If

If BEER = lager, he'll dump it. If BEER=IPA he'll dump it. If BEER = Stout, he'll drink it.

I haven't debugged the code, so don't complain if there's some sort of syntax error :fro:

When my boss says " every time you look at a mistake just dropped a case of blue on my desk".

I thought to myself 'man I can't make that much Chimay Bleue', so i go to get clarification....

oh no, he means Labatt Blue!

"I dont what that fancy Bleue is." He says. Whew!

This happened at my local craft beer pub.

A guy comes in and sits a few spaces down from me. The bartender comes up and the guy orders a PBR. The bartender says "we don't have PBR". The guy says "What do you mean? There's a Neon PBR sign in the window". The bartender says "OK we really do have PBR but this is a craft brew pub. Why don't you let me recommend some craft brews that you might like better than PBR". The guy agrees and after having a couple of bartender recommended craft brews the guy is no longer a PBR guy.

After the guy leaves I ask the bartender about what happened. He said "I think it's my job to show people uneducated about beer what REAL beer tastes like and sometimes I go to the extreme... But it usually works.

At that pub I have seen similar things happen numerous times after that. Great attitude and converting people one at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A guy comes in and sits a few spaces down from me. The bartender comes up and the guy orders a PBR. The bartender says "we don't have PBR". The guy says "What do you mean? There's a Neon PBR sign in the window". The bartender says "OK we really do have PBR but this is a craft brew pub. Why don't you let me recommend some craft brews that you might like better than PBR". The guy agrees and after having a couple of bartender recommended craft brews the guy is no longer a PBR guy.

After the guy leaves I ask the bartender about what happened. He said "I think it's my job to show people uneducated about beer what REAL beer tastes like and sometimes I go to the extreme... But it usually works.

At that pub I have seen similar things happen numerous times after that. Great attitude and converting people one at a time.

So he turned someone off of a GREAT beer to get them to try a "REAL" beer. I prefer when a bartender gives me what I order, and then suggests other things based on that preference. I hate it when someone tells me that what I like isn't "good."

I like it. "I'll sell you whatever you want, but I'll sell *this* beer more gladly"

We've all drank cheap-ass beer at one time or another, usually when we can't afford the good stuff. What if the guy was broke and could only afford a couple $2 PBR pint specials? If it was me I wouldn't need the bartender suggesting a $8 IPA, and I'd feel a little embarrassed as well.

Chicken wings with thyme? Gross. Why not try some of this expensive sage I have? It's not the same, not what you wanted, but i like it so you will, too.

Any business in retail that doesnt at least try to upsell does not stay in business long. Trick is in not being a jerk about it.

Marinading the wings in thyme and PBR really works though. Just dont drink the marinade unless you want to croak.

Yeah, I'm not really cool with that unless the bartender is okay with the establishment eating the cost for the pints when the customer says "Yeeeaaah, no thanks..." and then gives the customer a PBR without any attitude. I think a better approach would be "Sure, no problem. Do you want to try a couple samples of x and y while you're at it?"

I think some of us may be reading too much into the post:

'"OK we really do have PBR but this is a craft brew pub. Why don't you let me recommend some craft brews that you might like better than PBR". The guy agrees and after having a couple of bartender recommended craft brews the guy is no longer a PBR guy.'

Doesn't sound rude or pretentious to me. We all got started drinking craft beer at someone's suggestion, and we've all suggested it to others. If a guest in my house asks for a light beer, there may be one in the basement. But I'd also offer him a Centennial Blonde.

I think some of us may be reading too much into the post:

'"OK we really do have PBR but this is a craft brew pub. Why don't you let me recommend some craft brews that you might like better than PBR". The guy agrees and after having a couple of bartender recommended craft brews the guy is no longer a PBR guy.'

Doesn't sound rude or pretentious to me. We all got started drinking craft beer at someone's suggestion, and we've all suggested it to others. If a guest in my house asks for a light beer, there may be one in the basement. But I'd also offer him a Centennial Blonde.

It's not his house, it's a bar. With a neon sign advertising a particular brand. Give the customer what he ordered AND offer samples of similar beers.

It's not his house, it's a bar. With a neon sign advertising a particular brand. Give the customer what he ordered AND offer samples of similar beers.

It may just be the fact that emotion is lost in an internet forum but I too read it as a light hearted quip that the bartender probably know the response would be something along the lines of "what do you mean you haven't got PBR?" (irrespective if they had the sign or not). To which he promptly confessed to his little white lie and explained why he did. I kind of expected if the guy was adamant he wanted a PBR the bartender would have got him one... but that's just my interpretation :D

I love brewing and drinking beer but beer "culture" and all the internet bickering about stupid **** like this is really turning me off. Some dude ordered a PBR and was gently nudged to the dark side by a bartender and people are bickering about it for more than a page of my internets? It's hard for me to describe just how little I care about what other people drink or what people think about what I drink.

What is gained from this guy drinking some awesome beer that you recommended instead of the PBR he ordered? What is lost if he drinks PBR? What is gained if he drinks PBR? The answer to every question is NOTHING.

I don't care about the bartender not doing his job. I don't care WTF bro bro drinks and I don't care about this ridiculous thread anymore.

Unless people start posting funny stuff again. If that happens somebody PM me K?

/hate

Back