Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 6'2 and struggling to stay above 160 I feel your pain. I drink most days and eat like a horse, but manual labor burns a LOT of calories. Maybe my new distributor gig will be a little less physical and I can put on some more ell-bees ;)

At 6'2 and struggling to stay above 160 I feel your pain. I drink most days and eat like a horse, but manual labor burns a LOT of calories. Maybe my new distributor gig will be a little less physical and I can put on some more ell-bees ;)

And just when I was starting to like you. :mad: :D

If I moved around more, I could drink more beer. Hmmm. Nah. One's enough.

Another funny thing I overheard about beer - "Beer will make you FAT!"

Oh wait. That's not funny.

I wish I could stay under 200. I'm 5'6 and 185 at scrawny 230 at muscular. And I am at 206 walking around.

England has proved to me that beer doesn't make you fat, it's the snacks you have have with it. These scrawny bastards live in the pub. But to be fair, without things like walmart. They actually have to walk good distances from car parks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

At my favorite watering hole (91 beers on tap) with some boys from work the other night... service is generally terrible without our regular bartender who also happens to be the manager and cicerone... So we sit at our table and wait for someone to come by... and wait... and wait... so I eventually go to the bar to order a round. Guy in front of me looks about 27-33ish, in my age bracket, (and I feel it somewhat appropriate to mention he has a trucker hat on with the brim about 30 degrees off center and the hat is not squarely on his stupid head and he is sporting and Affliction T-shirt), sets down his empty bottle of Budweiser and orders an O'Fallon 5 day IPA.

Guy down the bar say "oh, man, that's a good beer. That's what I got."

Affliction asshead says "oh, yeah. I totally LOVE IPAS. And besides, they're like 6 or 7 percent versus a Bud or something at more like 4 or 5 or so. And at the price right now, ($2/pint special) its a total no-brainer."

I find it funny and sad. I kind of wanted to smash the guys face into the bar. I also love a good IPA and for those of us in the Greater St. Louis area know, O'fallon makes a solid IPA. But to suck it down simply for the fact of getting loaded faster is an affront to the brewer who designed and crafted it, and to people who want to visit (what can be) a great beer bar and have a variety of some fantastic beers.

Am I the only one who feels like this way or am I just to angry of a person in general? The guy is clearly old enough to have gone past the frat boy "Hey, dude lets drink like 12 beers in 12 minutes and see what happens" phase/mentality.

A coworker raided the cooler looking for something to drink. (a cooler that belonged to a different company) It was a hot day. He came back with a Sierra Nevada pale ale. Another said "are you crazy? Drinking beer on the job?"
He replied "it's not beer it's ale"
A half hour later he said, "hey man, I think you were right"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At my favorite watering hole (91 beers on tap) with some boys from work the other night... service is generally terrible without our regular bartender who also happens to be the manager and cicerone... So we sit at our table and wait for someone to come by... and wait... and wait... so I eventually go to the bar to order a round. Guy in front of me looks about 27-33ish, in my age bracket, (and I feel it somewhat appropriate to mention he has a trucker hat on with the brim about 30 degrees off center and the hat is not squarely on his stupid head and he is sporting and Affliction T-shirt), sets down his empty bottle of Budweiser and orders an O'Fallon 5 day IPA.

Affliction asshead says "oh, yeah. I totally LOVE IPAS. And besides, they're like 6 or 7 percent versus a Bud or something at more like 4 or 5 or so. And at the price right now, ($2/pint special) its a total no-brainer."

I find it funny and sad. I kind of wanted to smash the guys face into the bar. I also love a good IPA and for those of us in the Greater St. Louis area know, O'fallon makes a solid IPA. But to suck it down simply for the fact of getting loaded faster is an affront to the brewer who designed and crafted it, and to people who want to visit (what can be) a great beer bar and have a variety of some fantastic beers.

Am I the only one who feels like this way or am I just to angry of a person in general? The guy is clearly old enough to have gone past the frat boy "Hey, dude lets drink like 12 beers in 12 minutes and see what happens" phase/mentality.

Hey, ethanol mL/$ is serious stuff.

I think you read to much into the situation. I didn't get the impression that he was trying to get frat boy wasted. I'm just happy the guy ordered the craft beer. At my local beer bar, we used to have specials on Saturday where you could get pints of American microbrews for 2.50, 3.50, or 5.00. I'd marvel at the people who would walk into a bar with 60 taps and order a $3.50 Bud Light over a $2.50 pint of craft lager.

Now, as for the hat, we're on the same page.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Some people never make it past that mentality!

I recently watched a movie about friends in a brewery and at one point the main guy is mad and the worst insult he can think of was to call the other guy a bad brewer. The movie was terrible but I found that to be funny

I recently watched a movie about friends in a brewery and at one point the main guy is mad and the worst insult he can think of was to call the other guy a bad brewer. The movie was terrible but I found that to be funny

It's Drinking Buddies. Good movie. :mug:

I had to sit through Drinking Buddies... I thought it was a movie about brewing... boy was I wrong...

At a sushi restaurant, typical selection of Japanese beers, bud, coors. And then listed under wine: hitachino nest. To be fair they did offer me red or white...

I walked into my local mini-mart behind 2 other guys. As we walk in there's a display with some of the "specials": Dos Equis, Sam Adams Winter, and 4-packs of Big Eddy RIS.

Guy 1 says to Guy 2: Who would pay $8 for a 4-pack?
Guy 2: Not Me.

I picked up a pack and walked over to the cooler to see what else is available. I never get my hopes up because Sam's seasonals are about as "non-BMC" as I get here. Again, I find Guys 1 & 2:

Guy 1: "That's what I'm talking about" as he grabs a 6-pack of Red Horse for $5.

Was at my local bottleshop, and saw they are having a certified cicerone come in and do a presentation on beer styles once a month, with the first one being this week. I'm talking with the owner of the shop (as in "the one who has to know enough to order the beer") about what the first style will be, and she says "Oh, I think he's doing pilsners and lagers." Mmmm hmmm.

Was just at a supermarket here to pick up some cleaning supplies and ice for brewday. There was this dude who was completely racing around and was in a complete rush. I then see him when he's checking out. What did he have in his cart? About 20 yougart cups, and about 20 Kirin tall boy cans. It was about 9:30 on a Saturday morning. What in the heck?! Marinade on that for a minute.

Was just at a supermarket here to pick up some cleaning supplies and ice for brewday. There was this dude who was completely racing around and was in a complete rush. I then see him when he's checking out. What did he have in his cart? About 20 yougart cups, and about 20 Kirin tall boy cans. It was about 9:30 on a Saturday morning. What in the heck?! Marinade on that for a minute.

His girlfriend's in a mood and feeling fat. :p

Sam Adam's commercial trying to sell people on their "west coast" IPA. Yeah, no thanks :rolleyes:

Chris Steltz reviewed that on YouTube. I haven't had it but he said it was pretty generic so I'm not going to spend my money on that. Give me a Stone Go To IPA, it's awesome!

Sam Adam's commercial trying to sell people on their "west coast" IPA. Yeah, no thanks :rolleyes:

Had it yesterday. Nothing outstanding or unique, nothing horrible. Decent taste, but not in your face either. I enjoyed it, wasn't a ruination by any means. But for those who aren't hop heads, a decent ipa.

Had it yesterday. Nothing outstanding or unique, nothing horrible. Decent taste, but not in your face either. I enjoyed it, wasn't a ruination by any means. But for those who aren't hop heads, a decent ipa.

"Decent, but not in your face." Sounds exactly what you should expect from a "west coast IPA" made by an east coast brewer.

"Decent, but not in your face." Sounds exactly what you should expect from a "west coast IPA" made by an east coast brewer.

They are ruining beer to some degree. Taking a specific style, and making it so more people will drink it. I completely agree with the Cheesecake Factory comment. SA is what many people drink as their first craft experience and they are getting a poor example of the style. I just can't believe it actually says "West Coast Style" on the bottle. They are becoming the Walmart of beer and it chaps my ass. But this is a topic for another thread.

They are ruining beer to some degree. Taking a specific style, and making it so more people will drink it. I completely agree with the Cheesecake Factory comment. SA is what many people drink as their first craft experience and they are getting a poor example of the style. I just can't believe it actually says "West Coast Style" on the bottle. They are becoming the Walmart of beer and it chaps my ass. But this is a topic for another thread.

Why do you really care? If they are making beer that people will buy, that's called capitalism.

Why do you really care? If they are making beer that people will buy, that's called capitalism.

and here goes the long list of caring. why do you care that Breezy cares? why do I care that you care that Breezy cares? does Remmy, Wes, TNGabe, Hooligan, or coldcrash care? I'm pretty sure Jim Koch doesn't care if we care.

and what's the difference between capitalism & communism? I'll tell you: Under Communism, man exploits man. Under Capitalism, it's the other way around.

They are ruining beer to some degree. Taking a specific style, and making it so more people will drink it.

No offense but this is a ridiculous statement. Should they make a style so that people will NOT want to drink it?

This.

Agree that SA is not ZOMGSMALLCRAFTBREWERYORDIE!!!!!!!! but I've never been disappointed by their "generic" offerings.

and what's the difference between capitalism & communism? I'll tell you: Under Communism, man exploits man. Under Capitalism, it's the other way around.

I've never heard it put that way before, but I like it.

No offense but this is a ridiculous statement. Should they make a style so that people will NOT want to drink it?

I think what he meant was that they take an assortment of styles and make less challenging, more accessible versions of them. Even so, I consider that mostly a good thing if it gets more beer drinkers thinking outside the BMC. Most of us didn't jump straight into IPAs and Trappist ales...we had stuff like Boston Lager and Shiner Bock that was just different enough from the norm to get us looking at beer for taste. That was how I got started at least.

It just gets pretty damn annoying when people view craft beer as some kind of "movement." It's a product.

The same people are always trying to tell you about this awesome band "you've probably never heard of."

I think what he meant was that they take an assortment of styles and make less challenging, more accessible versions of them. Even so, I consider that mostly a good thing if it gets more beer drinkers thinking outside the BMC. Most of us didn't jump straight into IPAs and Trappist ales...we had stuff like Boston Lager and Shiner Bock that was just different enough from the norm to get us looking at beer for taste. That was how I got started at least.

I got what he meant and I agree with you that they are making more approachable versions of different styles. I think it's a good thing that they are trying to reach millions of people and not just elitist homebrewing nerds like us. :mug:

Back