Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a cooking with beer book and one recipe asked for a red ale, and suggested Chimay Red.

I can understand the confusion but not if you're publishing a book about beer.

MIL bought me 2 cans of Mr. Beer kits, that being said she also bought me another 2.5g fermenter.

Going to add 1lb LME to each of them, ferment them for 2 weeks, then figure out how I am going to fill 2 of them when I have had an issue keeping one filled with recipes on here.

I got a cooking with beer book and one recipe asked for a red ale, and suggested Chimay Red.

oh didn't you know, you match label color to the color of the beer. SNPA is my favorite green beer.

zmanzorro said:

If they think i would use good chimay to cook with they are insane

I found out this actually exists.

RMOS.jpg

At a wedding reception tonight, 2 funny things. 1) the cash bar had coors light and coors heavy (had S.A. and boulevard thankfully) 2) I go to get a rum and coke for SWMBO and bartender asks if I want that with Bacardi or Jack...um...Bacardi I guess.

At a wedding reception tonight, 2 funny things. 1) the cash bar had coors light and coors heavy (had S.A. and boulevard thankfully) 2) I go to get a rum and coke for SWMBO and bartender asks if I want that with Bacardi or Jack...um...Bacardi I guess.

Ooff. Went to a wedding where the caterers thought that the more they pumped the keg the better. Basically got whole cups of foam.

Since it was my friend's wedding... I drank pure foam and pretended to love it.

Ooff. Went to a wedding where the caterers thought that the more they pumped the keg the better. Basically got whole cups of foam.

Since it was my friend's wedding... I drank pure foam and pretended to love it.

Well actually...drinking beer in a foamy state lets the alcohol be absorbed into your bloodstream faster and has less calories. They were doing you a favor!

Wait, that's not right...:drunk:

Thought of this thread tonight. Went out to dinner with 3 other couples. Restaurant had many beers available, and 2 sample shots of anything on the menu. The women were picking a lot of "fancy" beers with tasty descriptions, ie Mad Elf, a few Belgians, several chocolatey porters and stouts. One of the husbands, kind of a know-it-all, says to the women: "why do you guys keep picking all those dark beers?! They're all so bitter."
Me: *Eyebrow raised* "What kind of beers do you like?"
Him: "IPAs"

Thought of this thread tonight. Went out to dinner with 3 other couples. Restaurant had many beers available, and 2 sample shots of anything on the menu. The women were picking a lot of "fancy" beers with tasty descriptions, ie Mad Elf, a few Belgians, several chocolatey porters and stouts. One of the husbands, kind of a know-it-all, says to the women: "why do you guys keep picking all those dark beers?! They're all so bitter."
Me: *Eyebrow raised* "What kind of beers do you like?"
Him: "IPAs"

I have heard similar statements from IPA drinkers also. I think it is the astringent coffee like bitterness that is so different from hop bitterness that fools them. As though their threshold for the roast-y is so low that they somehow perceive it as more tongue curling than a thoroughly overhopped IPA- which to me can sometime seem borderline earwax. I don't get it either though; this is merely a stout swirling musing I once had. :mug:

Finally got one last night.

Me and my fiancee were out to dinner at a local brewpub. Along with their own beers, they have a list of guest beers. On the board they listed one as "lefty's graham cracker ale." While not completely inaccurate, its a porter, its misleading to some. At the table next to us, one of the women asked the waitress about it, and the waitress replied "well, its a porter, not an ale" to which me and the fiancee looked at each other and.just shook our heads and giggled.

I met a few buddies for drinks at a college bar the other night (happily, it was during christmas break and we were the only ones there). I ordered a beer and the woman pulled the pint (with about an inch of head) and walked away without giving it to me. Apparently it's common practice to let the head settle out before giving it to a patron.

Finally got one last night.

Me and my fiancee were out to dinner at a local brewpub. Along with their own beers, they have a list of guest beers. On the board they listed one as "lefty's graham cracker ale." While not completely inaccurate, its a porter, its misleading to some. At the table next to us, one of the women asked the waitress about it, and the waitress replied "well, its a porter, not an ale" to which me and the fiancee looked at each other and.just shook our heads and giggled.

To be fair, a lot of porters (especially Baltic porters), are actually lagers. Though that's probably not what she meant.

To be fair, a lot of porters (especially Baltic porters), are actually lagers. Though that's probably not what she meant.

I like in Exit6's response they sent $6 of the profit for the 3 beers sold to be applied to the lawyers legal fee's. Nice way to tell them good job for picking on the little guy. :mug:

I have heard similar statements from IPA drinkers also. I think it is the astringent coffee like bitterness that is so different from hop bitterness that fools them. As though their threshold for the roast-y is so low that they somehow perceive it as more tongue curling than a thoroughly overhopped IPA- which to me can sometime seem borderline earwax. I don't get it either though; this is merely a stout swirling musing I once had. :mug:

Tongue curling, astringent, bitter earwax? No thank you!
I like my earwax more balanced with a pleasant roast character.

This cease and desist letter that Starbucks sent to a brewpub near St. Louis

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/mi...-desist-starbucks-epic-letter-6-check-photos/

"Unfortunately it was only similar to the F word because we meant to call it the same thing. Lucky for us, we're poor spelers."

Brilliant rebuttle. Hard to imagine Mr. Bucks as being a bully about defending his trademarks.

At least I can take comfort in this: (maybe nsfw? sound can be taken out of context)

Wonder if those guys ever got a letter...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great. Some organizations are just too ridiculous with this stuff.

I don't see any bullying. I'm not an expert on trademark law, but as far as I understand if you don't enforce a trademark within a certain period of time after you notice an infringement you are liable to lose it. They and any other company with trademarks probably do that routinely anytime they notice it. What if Starbucks started using Exit 6 names? Would it be ok for them to write snarky letters? I bet those lawyers can come up with some brilliant prose if they tried. Seems to me Exit 6 are just rabble rousing to get some publicity, because it's hip to hate on Starbucks now.

I thought that most porters were ales with the exception of Baltic porters. What other porters are fermented at lager temps?

I think they can all be classified as Baltic Porters. He may have meant that they are brewed in many different nations. Historically, many US porters were brewed using lager yeast in the 1800's.

I thought that most porters were ales with the exception of Baltic porters. What other porters are fermented at lager temps?

As a general rule, yes. But not everything is strictly defined by narrow BJCP guidelines. ;)

Similarly, there are also stouts that are lagers. "Tropical stouts" are the style most known for this, but there are still other examples of stout lagers that don't really fall under that category either.

I thought it was cool that when the Spainiards first landed here,the coastal natives amazed them with smoky pit bbq. Called barbecu by the natives on the continent,& barbacoa by the carribian islanders. The Europeans had never heard of such a cooking style. So we also gave bbq to the world with tomatoes,pumkins,corn,etc.:ban::rockin::ban:

I let this guy try my pilsner on New Years and he insisted that it tasted just like blue moon and shiner bock

How does a Pilsner taste like Blue Moon AND Shiner? Poor mans black and tan?

My wife, who loves radlers, but not a beer fan. Said yesterday that the radler tastes best over ice.
:shakes head:

Drinking radlers is OK, borderline, but OK.
But over ice!!!

After I stopped laughing, I told her "That's going on the internet"

Back