FUBAR my tripel IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i got the AHS Tripel IPA kit to try. i was planning to mash at 149 for 90min. long story short, i ended up at 146. so i left it for 60min then ramped up to 155 for 30 min. sparged with 168 water. everything went smooth and i hit my pre-boil and OG perfect. i had made a 2.2 liter starter, but ended up having to leave it in the fridge for 3 days before pitching. i pitched it at 65F, per many recommendations. the plan was to let it sit at 65-66F for 3 days, then let it ramp up to the 70's. well, i just checked it, day 3, and it is at 1.005!

so here are my questions. is the FG so low because i mashed too low? will this brew be really watery because of the low FG? an how the heck did it ferment out so fast at that low of a temp? any suggestions or input?

yes, plus i always check with refractometer first. and i made a mistake, today was actually day 4.

Mashing at 146 created a ridiculous amount of fermentable sugars. The mash most likely reached total starch conversion in less then 60 min. Sometimes i reach conversion in 30. So ramping up the temp probably didn't help compensate. Will still be drinkable, but very dry.. :)

Back