Frozen corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuciferSam

Reaction score
My temp sensor was too high in my keezer, and 2 full kegs frozen solid. I took them out and thawed, they still hold pressure fine. I am worried the beer is ruined! Should I force carb at 30psi to mix it up again? How can I fix this??? Please help? I can't imagine all this beer is ruined... Is it???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I too have frozen a couple of kegs. Here is my advice to you. Do not open that tap at all until you are 100% certain that the beer is completely thawed (remember what freezes first, water or alcohol)
The beer should be ok - well, at the very least it will still be totally drinkable provided you didn't open the tap with partially frozen beer. I wouldn't force carb it again either.
Just leave the CO2 at serving pressure, wait for that sucker to thaw out and you'll be drinking beer again.

I thawed for about 12 hours, hooked everything up, waited 24 hours , tried last nite. Everything seems good, I didn't have a chance to drink before they froze so I can't compare but it's certainly not bad. Should I shake or mix it up at all? Or does the alcohol and water magically mix???

I thawed for about 12 hours, hooked everything up, waited 24 hours , tried last nite. Everything seems good, I didn't have a chance to drink before they froze so I can't compare but it's certainly not bad. Should I shake or mix it up at all? Or does the alcohol and water magically mix???

That's a good question and one that I am not sure of.
I froze a keg of commercial craft brewed pils solid once and thawed it out in the bath tub. It tasted fine afterwards and I never shook it or anything. Take that for what you will though.:drunk:

Beer tastes flat... I've had it at 14 psi for over 2 weeks. Is there anything else I can do? I am about to pour it :( !

Beer tastes flat... I've had it at 14 psi for over 2 weeks. Is there anything else I can do? I am about to pour it :( !

You're not out of co2? My experience is that when a keg freezes, thawing it warps (and ruins) the keg. :(

If the keg isn't leaking, and the beer is thawed, it should definitely not be flat at 14 psi in the fridge so something is up, like the gas isn't going into the keg.

Is it possible the keg froze before it was carbonated? That would explain the lack of carbonation.

Don't dump it, you can fix this. Figure out why no carbonation and fix it.

Nostrovia!

It's had co2 for a long time... The beer taste flat/dead like its lost its life:(!!!
How can I fix this??? I do NOT want to pour it but it's horrible/undrinkable as is...

It's had co2 for a long time... The beer taste flat/dead like its lost its life:(!!!
How can I fix this??? I do NOT want to pour it but it's horrible/undrinkable as is...

Are you sure it is completely thawed out? Once it returns to liquid state, there is nothing that would prevent it from re-absorbing CO2.

Yes absolutely thawed out. For at least two weeks at 14psi...??? FLAT!

beer is never the same after its frozen. It will be drinkable, but I wouldn't use it for taste notes

Latest posts

Back