From primary to keg? Any probs doing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeratier

Reaction score
Will going from the primary right to the keg work? Would there be too much sediment in the keg? This would be for a guinness like stout.

Anyone done this? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

It's possible to do this with no ill effects save that teh frist beer or 3 have an unusually high trub content. It's really not that difficult, especially if you make sure that you are completely fermented out before you transfer.

The one thing I HAVE had trobule with in this space is the presence of hops (even pellet mush) in the trub (or dry hopping in the keg). I'vve had hopps plug up the poppet so bad that the beer comes out in a trickle. It's easily solved but it involved depressurization of the keg and removal and cleaning of the poppet while the beer is in the keg. Defintely a PITA.

Wait two weeks and kegging won't be a problem. Strain the ale going into the keg, the finer a strainer the better. I found a little strainer at a $1 store that a baby nit couldn't get through.

Can you describe your process for this? I'm having a hard time envisioning a 'quiet' straning.

david_42 said:
Wait two weeks and kegging won't be a problem. Strain the ale going into the keg, the finer a strainer the better. I found a little strainer at a $1 store that a baby nit couldn't get through.

wouldn't that aerate your beer?

kornkob said:
Can you describe your process for this? I'm having a hard time envisioning a 'quiet' straning.
And I'm wondering just how small a baby nit is. :D

What about tying a loose piece of fine cheese cloth over the end of the racking cane? You'd have to make sort of a balloon to make sure there was enough surface area so it wouldn't get plugged up mid-transfer. As long as you start with the tip at the very bottom of the keg, the wort would quickly cover it up and minimize introduction of air to the wort. I've contemplated this once or twice but never gone through with it.

I go straight from primary to keg with most of my beers. The only ones that get secondary are lagers and beers that need dry hopping.

Just let the beer sit a little longer in primary before transfering, there is no need to filter if you just run a little off first before filling your keg. Since my fermenters are closed and I transfer with Co2 I transfer to kegs after the beer runs clear, which is about a half a pint.

I transfer to kegs the same way I transfer to secondary.....
Secondary1.jpg

Back