Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That mug is ugly and won't look good with Perlick's... you should send it to me quickly as to not offend anyone with it :mug:

Looks good to me... :rockin:

One of my brothers gave me a set for my birthday a few years ago and I have no idea where he found them.....

100_1554.jpg

I was at Lowes tonight and saw what looked like the exact frig but was a different model number than the original post. The inside door panel looked a bit different as well. Is there now a newer model that will work? What model are you guys working with now? Looks like I can't buy this one anymore.

Has anyone run a CO2 line outside of the unit through the drain hole? I am working on plans for my bar and thinking I might run a 20# CO2 out side. Any issues with this that anyone has found?

MrLucky13:
Somewhere in this post someone drilled a vertical hole through the back left hump (red CO2 line) for an external mount, because the drain hole isn't that big.

I used this bulkhead from AHS
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_131_574&products_id=10234
and mounted it in the same spot in the back left. i just connect on either side of it, works excellent. you could mount a splitter on the inside if you wanted.

I'll tell you though, the drain hole in this fridge is PERFECT for my Love TS controller probe - for anyone else who uses that with this fridge.
i have the controller mounted in a cigar box that sits on top, and my probe reaches well inside to either my keg, or fermenter ( that's why this fridge set up is awesome.
However, you have to feed the probe from the inside out- wires first. the probe tip is too big to fit.

________
GP

Gamepreserve,
I don't quite understand how the bulkhead product you provided the link for works. I too have this fridge and want to mount the tank outside. I wish there was a picture showing the item in use to better understand it. Anyone with pictures?

Sorry, I'm under the impression that I'm not allowed to post up a pic unless im a donating member ? ( i just get a promt to "enter the URL of my image"...) I'll try to PM you with a pic in a day or two if you want to post it up here for evryone. in the meantime:

the gas hose off my regulator has one of these on the end:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_131_575&products_id=1272
I hope you've seen/used one of these before, its the same part that screws onto a QD as seen here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-disc-1-4-mfl-gas.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...s/gas-connector-kit-bl-ball-lock-version.html

unless you have one of these:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-disc-1-4-barb-gas.html

anyways, That AHS "mini bulkhead" works exactly the same as any other draft bulkhead, except CO2 passes through, and not liquid. On the inside of the fridge, use another FFL fitting on the inside, and run the gas line with a QD to your Keg(s).

I'm surprised i came across this part myself actually, I've never seen it before.

GP, Thank you I went all the way back to the start of the prost and saw it. Thank your for your links about the bulk head. I am planning on putting my 20lb CO2 tank in my storage room with a manifold both in the storage room and one in the frig. That way when I am carbonating I don't have to disconnect anything or buy another regulator.

My last question is can you put a 3 gallon keg on the hump with 2 5 gallon kegs in front. The kids would sure like if I had Root Beer on tap for them.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-lock-soda-keg-3-gal.html

Thank you

Good idea; i'm about to make a cider with fresh juice for my 3 gal.
I can fit a 3 gal on the hump, with a 5 gallon no problem. I think this week im going to pick up another 5 gallon corny, because im about to add a 3 tap tower to this bad-boy.
Somewhere in this thread... there is a chunk of posts about who can fit what where, and it's my understanding the "3 gallon keg on the hump with 2 5 gallon kegs in front" set up works, so I wont re-iterate anymore of it. When I eyeball it, it looks good.
My only issue is that my temp probe exits the drain hole, so with a triangle set up that 3 gallon might push right up over that drain hole and crimp the probe line. I think i'll have to elevate it with some wood blocks or something.

I was at Lowes tonight and saw what looked like the exact frig but was a different model number than the original post. The inside door panel looked a bit different as well. Is there now a newer model that will work? What model are you guys working with now? Looks like I can't buy this one anymore.

I can't help you out, but I had the same problem the other week when looking for this fridge at Lowes. It's no longer the FRC445 but something else. I happened to find a 4912 on craigslist though.

Well I've read this whole thread! I have absolutely no parts for kegging and am shopping around for best deals. I already am probably going to buy the fridge new. So, I am looking for great deals on ball lock kegs, perlick taps, tower, co2 tanks and regulators. I can't seem to find anyone selling dual tap towers. Also, do most of you have a seperate regulator for each keg?

EDIT: I've found this. What do you all think? Will 2 regulators fit in this fridge?
http://www.learntobrew.com/store/it...Kegerator_2_Product_2_Pressure_Regultors.html

jmo88. I got my dual tap tower from Kegworks.com. They also have perlick faucets (I upgraded to the creamer faucets and am sooo happy I did). I found that they had the best deal. I did not get a dual regulator but I suppose if you are serving two beers that have different serving pressures that this would help. I probable need to get a second regulator for this reason. Good deal though, minus the extra regulator I picked up a package like this for 299 I believe.

Here is my build of this fridge. It was a little more involved than my Oster one, but the results are much better. The oster is a POS compared to this fridge. I put my tower in the center and added rails.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28885114@N03/sets/72157622392778997/

Does anyone know if the cooling coils are only on the top and sides of this model or the top and the back? I want to mount my CO2 outside but not sure where to drill for the hose or the mounting bracket. Thanks.

Gamepreserve,
I thought this forum was for helping. I have been through the thread before but don't have the time to go through it again. If you wanted to be helpful you could post the answer, but if you just want to be a speed bump in my day please don't post an answer like "Read the thread" -its not very community like of you.

Thanks,

Now anyone have the answer to this question?

Can you tell me how you locate the conditioning coils on the side of this unit? I would like to move my CO2 tank outside and want to mount it some how which means drilling into the unit from a side or back. Thanks.

Can you tell me how you locate the conditioning coils on the side of this unit? I would like to move my CO2 tank outside and want to mount it some how which means drilling into the unit from a side or back. Thanks.

37OliveStBrews:
sure, i didnt mean to be rude, i just didnt want to type something twice on the same thread (that already has repeated info). You might be interested in starting at post # 364, just up the page a little.... there is good information spelled out, and it sounds like you are asking the same question that was asked/discussed/answered there....

Let us know if you still have more questions and we can all help you out.
Cheers

GamePreserve,
Yeah I have been following this thread and made my own contributions on this model fridge. My real question is I have a CO2 tank mounting bracket that I want to mount to the back. I am curious as to whether the coils of any kind are running on the back wall. I'd like to screw into the back not drill a hole for the CO2 tubing to fix the mounting bracket. I have already drilled in the hump to run my temp controller temp probe and will do so again for the CO2 but want to figure out this mounting bracket first. As a last resort I guess I could glue it with epoxy but shudder at that thought.

I am such a noob. And accidentally posted here. Now can't seem to remove the post. Only edit it. Sorry folks.

I contacted Electrolux the maker of the Fridgedaire model in question and they confirmed there are no coils in either side or back wall of this fridge. I guess I can drill into it at will to install the CO2 mounting bracket. Yippee.

Everyone looking to purchase a new model of this fridge at Lowes: THE NEW MODEL IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT. I was discouraged at first when I saw the door panel. The molding extends out from the door a lot more than the model in this thread. Don't be discouraged though, I found this blog post. Despite the new door panel, this post shows the kegs fitting snugly without any work needing to be done to the door. I just bought the same fridge and will be starting this project in a couple days.

Just a head's up to anyone looking to purchase, Lowe's is advertising the stainless model for $143.20 online. If you can grab one of the 10% off coupons for project starters it will make a pretty sweet deal. Also still seeking confirmation that a 1/6 keg will fit and still have a bit of clearance for fittings and air circ. Anybody help?

A 1/6 fits. I have one in there all the time along with a corny keg. I did cut off the shelf support on the door and made it flat for a better fit, but they'll both fit without modding the door. It was just a real tight squeeze.

Epic read, I have an old mini fridge that gets cold enough to freeze my cans and bottles. I shall convert it to hold 2 5 gallon kegs. kegs in questions are these style are they the cornies or commercial style?

OqyNu.jpg

-=Jason=-

Epic read, I have an old mini fridge that gets cold enough to freeze my cans and bottles. I shall convert it to hold 2 5 gallon kegs. kegs in questions are these style are they the cornies or commercial style?

OqyNu.jpg

-=Jason=-

Yarrr, cornies, they be. Yarrrrrrrrr!

Yarrr, cornies, they be. Yarrrrrrrrr!

fro $10 a keg I hope there are still some left this coming sunday as I'll be making a 90 mile trip to pick up kegs for keggles and visit a LHBS

EDIT: just got a call back about the kegs there is hope left that I'll be able to pick up 2 or 3 maybe 4... seemed like it wasn't an issue of being enough kegs left, but of them being in PHX on sunday when I'll be down there

-=jason=-

Well the model they had onsale wasnt the same one. they changed the door design. ran out of time so i never went to go check it out and the price went up.

Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM is on sale at Lowes for $145 right now. Super easy to convert! I will share pics of mine later on tonight.

Do 2 cornies fit in it like the original model. and the price went back to reular this morning so i thought the sale was over with

I just bought it at noon today for $145 plus tax. Two corney kegs fit as long as you move the thermostat out of the way. I'll post pictures later tonight.

I just bought it at noon today for $145 plus tax. Two corney kegs fit as long as you move the thermostat out of the way. I'll post pictures later tonight.

I did one of the FRC445GB conversions for my uncle i was just making sure with the new inner parts of the door it would still work. im ordering one tonight and im picking it up tomorrow

The door needs to be modified a little bit but it works fine. Hooked my Auber PID up to it a few minutes ago after I put the dual tap tower on. Going to tackle the door tomorrow and I'll post pictures.

well i ordered one....the good thing about theold model is the fact that the door had plastic inserts for trays and they were removable. i placed my order tonight so ill pick it up tomorrow and start ripping into it. i think i have a plan for the door but i will know for sure tomorrow

The door needs to be modified a little bit but it works fine. Hooked my Auber PID up to it a few minutes ago after I put the dual tap tower on. Going to tackle the door tomorrow and I'll post pictures.

2 ball lock cornies and a 5# tank fit without modifying the door. It's tight but they fit. Make sure you push them in all the way and push the tops of the kegs back.

:rockin: For the size keezer i was about to build, this was the perfect alternative. I bought a tower, and all the brew supplies from MicroMatic and the whole shabang plus the cornies and attatchments for 300...it was looking at the same prices for a small keezer. I took the top off and dug through the foam and found where not to drill. Place the holes NOT on the coils and support with a 2 by 4. If you dig out an insert the sixe of your wood and reinforce with liquid nails...then you're set. this is a great kegerator, and it was fun and super easy to build. Trust that it's worth the time and effort to dig around where you want to put your tower (i can't see how this would be near as convinient with door mounting...door is too short, and easy to bump into). The coolant lines are obvious and easy to avoid and if you're mounting the Co2 outside, you should go through the drain plug. All in all, my pumkin beer tastes great out of it, and thanks to all the previous posters for the advice!

Cheers!

Picked mine up today. anyone have any pictures of the top ripped off this one and if the coils go the same as the previous model

Back