Will the Fermonster Big Mouth 7 gallon carboys fit in the 3.2 cu ft mini fridges ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
Subject says it all.

I'd like to buy a mini fridge for use as a fermentation chamber. The ones I see for sale locally are all 3.2 cu ft. Danby, Hamilton Beach, etc. They all look the same.

The freezer compartment appears to be easily removable. I'm not sure if there will be enough height between the top of the hump and the top of the interior for a 7 gallon Fermonster. I'd need 22-23" if I used a blowoff tube rather than a bubbler.

I'm asking this question because I haven't been able to find the answer online. Maybe that is telling me that they don't fit ?

Thanks

I've got 2 mini fridges for fermentation chambers. Might get lucky with yours but on one of mine, had to take the plastic door piece off (exposing door insulation), and the other I extended it with a 2x4 collar for the fermonster to fit.

If you can see and measure first, that would be your best bet.

I've got 2 mini fridges for fermentation chambers.

There are 2 common sizes 3.2 and 4.4 cu ft. What size are yours ?

Are you setting the fermenter right on the bottom or above the shelf ?

Thanks for the reply.

Oops, yes didn't realize that. Think mine are the 4.4 cuft sizes. The 7 gal fermonster might not fit in the 3.2cuft. at least the depth.

Mine sit on the bottom. Above the shelf would not give me enough clearance.

I'd recommend looking on craigslist or whatever for a used one. If it's the kind with the freezer, I felt better about bending that part down on something haha

Here is what a Danby 3.2 looks like for height.

A 7 gallon Fermonster Big Mouth is about 22 inches tall with the lid on, without an air lock.

Edit: this says 20.9 inches.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-carboy-7-gal-spigot.html
My 7 gallon fermenter is 21 1/4" to the top of the lid. That would leave less than 3/4" for an elbow and blowoff tube. Do able ?

Attachments

• Danby 3.2 bottom.jpg
    Danby 3.2 bottom.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Canby 3.2 top.jpg
    Canby 3.2 top.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like it won't fit sitting on the height of the hump. Doubt it will fit on the floor as is. But if you're handy you can build a 2x4 collar extension to make it deeper. Take the door off, make the 2x4 frame, glue/caulk/adhesive the frame to the fridge. Then put the door on the frame.

I can send a pic of what I did with mine in a little bit if interested

I did the same. Cut out the shelves in the door and add a 2x4 collar on the front of the fridge and there's plenty of room for my 7gal Fermonster. I just needed to add a toggle clamp to hold the door shut.
1670184344593.png

Would it fit on a shelf above the step if you removed the air lock ?

Would you still need the collar ?

Back