Friends first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robh1111975

Reaction score
Hey guys a friend of mine just did his first batch of home brew over the weekend and ran into a situation I didn't know how to answer for him.
He got his boil to hot and carmelized his malt. He said it has a burnt smell and it hadn't started to ferment yet.
He asked me if he should transfer to another container and re-pitch to prevent any of the "burnt mash" from giving off any nasty flavoring.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Did your friend use liquid malt extract in his boil? If yes, what happened is he didn't stir it in well enough, it sank to the bottom of the pot and got scorched. There is nothing you can do about this. Transferring the beer to another fermenter is not going to fix this problem.

As for not fermenting yet...just wait. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days for fermentation to really start.

Too late.

Transferring will not change it and as for not starting, I'm guessing he has not left it long enough but it is a guess without more information.

Getting the wort to hot is not a problem it's lack of circulation that is the problem or localising the heat.

Back