Freezer Light, AC or DC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffWScott

Reaction score
I want to run my the Fan for my Tap Tower off the power going to the internal freezer light (splitting off the power right before the "lid closed" switch.) I believe this should be "always on" power.

How do I tell if this is AC or DC power?

While we're on the subject can anyone recommend a good fan to use?

Thanks!

It is highly unlikely that the bulb inside the freezer is DC, it is nearly certainly going to be 120v AC.

Depending on the fan you choose (most installations I have seen use 12v DC computer fans), you will have to step down the voltage to 12v, and then rectify the current from AC to DC. Given the amount of work that will take, you would be better off just using a wall-wort transformer and running the wire through the lid seal, or collar if it is a converted keezer.

Hope this helps!

Agreed, almost certainly an AC bulb in a chest freezer - mostly because it's the cheapest solution to the problem.
Both of the lid lights on the two keezers I've built were AC.
The old/first used a mercury switch, the new/current one uses a mechanical switch...

Cheers!

Hey, thanks for all the great info.

I have my STC1000 inside the freezer. I'll just run another receptacle off that and then use a wall wort to a DC fan.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back