Freezer Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
I inherited a 5.1CF Freezer with my house. Prior owners left it behind. I bought the Inkbird for it and it has been doing quite well for me.

I built the shelf to hold the two Mr Beer kegs I still use for Fermenting my AG batches. I have a fan circulating the air from below.

See Below:

20170315_183033_zpsgjtyqg39.jpg

20170315_183040_zpsblz2n07c.jpg

Couple of questions:

1) Does anybody know of a 5G Fermenter that fits in an 18" space?

2) If not, and I have to move to single batches, do you set the Carboy down on the freezer bottom directly or do you use something for insulation off the bottom?

I don't know about anyone else, but I just plop the fermenter right in the freezer. I tape the probe to the fermenter with a bit of bubble wrap. That way you are measuring beer temp instead of air temp.

I think you are going to have issues with a 18" height. Even a bucket is right at that, but then you need room for an air lock. I know some people use plastic cubes, so that would be a bit shorter geometry if you can find them

I'll probably end up taking out the shelf. Just means one batch at a time

I had a freezer that looks like that, and i could squeeze one of the 6 gallon Italian-made carboys in it, against the hump on the floor.

I think that if you are going to 5 gallon batches you are only going to be able to do one at a time. I have a 7 cu ft. freezer and it can only hold two.

On the bottom without anything below the fermenter. I also agree with puttin the temperature probe on the side of the fermenter with something insulating it from the ambient air. I use a folded washcloth

I don't think over the hump works with the airlock figured in height wize. Take out the plywood and you should be all set with one bucket/carboy....Two bucket/carboys aint workin in a 5.1 freezer...unless theres something I don't know because 2 buckets are squeezed tight in a 7.1 freezer

Back