Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody hear anything 0n this course? I haven't heard anything since I signed up. No updates on the site, either.

All,

Sorry for the silence on the course. Everything is getting tested as I write so that we will have a positive launch on Monday.

I saw the iPad app this week and it looks nice. If it passes the checks with Apple, should be available next week.

Looking forward to the course,

Prof

All,

Sorry for the silence on the course. Everything is getting tested as I write so that we will have a positive launch on Monday.

I saw the iPad app this week and it looks nice. If it passes the checks with Apple, should be available next week.

Looking forward to the course,

Prof

Sounds good looking forward to it. :mug:

I got an e-mail over the weekend, I browsed the online course but was kicked out with a 503 service unavailable error. I didn't see a text or anything yet, but everything worked well for the most part...until it timed out basically. I assume many are logging in now and the server is a bit overloaded.

I click on the lessons tab (now that it shows) and I see Outline, but I can't even select that. I think you're right that the system might be a little overloaded at the moment. Oh well, I guess I'd best focus on my daytime job :)

I click on the lessons tab (now that it shows) and I see Outline, but I can't even select that. I think you're right that the system might be a little overloaded at the moment. Oh well, I guess I'd best focus on my daytime job :)

It finally loaded for me, took a long time though. My username is same as here, Setesh

I'm not seeing any lessons available yet, but the prof has a comment out there with a good question in it.

The course seems to be up. You need to click the "Lessons" tab at the top of the page. It should bring up an introduction, and Unit 1 "overview of brewing".

There was a preliminary self assessment quiz up earlier today, but one of the students found an error in it, so the prof is fixing it now. The official quiz will be posted next week.

In tbe self assessment, I found the brewing questions pretty easy, but can tell the chemistry terms and symbols are just going to kill me.

There was a preliminary self assessment quiz up earlier today, but one of the students found an error in it, so the prof is fixing it now. The official quiz will be posted next week.

In tbe self assessment, I found the brewing questions pretty easy, but can tell the chemistry terms and symbols are just going to kill me.

Same here...it makes sense but when you start to do the Chemistry portions of it...I remember why I started drinking to begin with.

passedpawn - I was in the same boat but I think that was because I logged in early this morning before the content went up. If you log out and then back in you should see the course modules and have access to the overview and first lesson.

I apologize for the hiccup this morning. Site should be working now. You may need to logout and back in.

The videos are lagging a bit, but NextThought is working on this as I write.

passedpawn - I was in the same boat but I think that was because I logged in early this morning before the content went up. If you log out and then back in you should see the course modules and have access to the overview and first lesson.

Crap. I logged out and back in. I see the outline, but the only live section is the Introduction and Unit 1: Overview, but both are empty.

I apologize for the hiccup this morning. Site should be working now. You may need to logout and back in.

The videos are lagging a bit, but NextThought is working on this as I write.

I've found that if I click play and then pause immediately; let the browser sit for a couple of minutes to let the stream buffer some, then the video plays pretty smoothly.

Tried to logon here at work (since that's where I'll have the most time for the coursework) and got the message that my browser IE8 is not supported. Unfortunately upgrading this is not under my control. I guess I'll be limited to working on this after the kids go to bed.

I did poorly on the quiz but I didn't look stuff up first. That means that after not taking chemistry for about 17 years (now I feel old), I'm not a total moron. I did actually get the boil kettle question wrong though too. This is going to be a tough class for me, I think.

Well, I gave it a shot. Having never so much as cracked a chemistry book it is obvious that this is not up my alley. I was hoping that I would be able to get through with beer knowledge alone and pick off some low hanging chemistry fruit. I knew every single beer question, but the chemistry ones are just not gonna happen. Too bad, I wish I could watch the videos without doing the tests, I might still learn something that Jamil, Randy, John, or Ray hadn't already taught me.

***Edit***
It looks like maybe I will be able too once those sections are released. Which would be very cool!

When you get to the chemistry videos, the three documents in the materials (on carbohydrates, proteins & lipids) help reinforce the material without having to go back over and over.

Tried to logon here at work (since that's where I'll have the most time for the coursework) and got the message that my browser IE8 is not supported. Unfortunately upgrading this is not under my control. I guess I'll be limited to working on this after the kids go to bed.

Chrome is your friend.

Really wish the Janux system provided IPhone support as most of my free time is when I'm at work using a mobile platform. Unfortunately my work restricts access to external websites so no Joy for me at work anyway. (Which stinks as I have hours to kill watching machinery go round and round). Hope they will soon support mobile platforms. Not holding my breath however.
Updates are never timely when you need/want them. Oh well will have to hit the site and videos in the AM when I get done work. Unless somebody out there has a work around I'm not familiar with??

Well, I gave it a shot. Having never so much as cracked a chemistry book it is obvious that this is not up my alley. I was hoping that I would be able to get through with beer knowledge alone and pick off some low hanging chemistry fruit. I knew every single beer question, but the chemistry ones are just not gonna happen. Too bad, I wish I could watch the videos without doing the tests, I might still learn something that Jamil, Randy, John, or Ray hadn't already taught me.

***Edit***
It looks like maybe I will be able too once those sections are released. Which would be very cool!

When you get to the chemistry videos, the three documents in the materials (on carbohydrates, proteins & lipids) help reinforce the material without having to go back over and over.

The link for the first quiz doesn't work, and the materials links don't work either. I'm a little frustrated with the site. Having a link available that does nothing is non-intuitive.

I did watch all of the videos without any issue. I'm enjoying the parts that work a lot.

From earlier posts, it seems several people have taken it.

Yeah, I took it several times in a row. 75, 83, XX, 100. It wouldn't let me go on until I got 100. I had no idea on the last 4 answers I needed, I just had to google them since it wouldn't let me go on with a 75.

I will say that I learned a lot about chemistry already though.

Back