Frangelico vs. Hazelnut Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I'm making a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone and will be adding hazelnut flavor in about 3 weeks. I've searched and found a couple mentions of these two methods for adding the flavor, but nothing detailed.

Can anyone offer a firsthand account of how the brew turned out with either Frangelico or hazelnut extract? A comparison would be awesome if you've tried both. My LHBS said to use 1.5 cups of Frangelico at bottling to prime and impart flavor. I've read here that the hazelnut extract gives a clean hazelnut flavor, but should be used sparingly. So not sure which to use.

What are the differences in the final product? If I'm kegging and force carbonating, how would the added sugar of the liquour affect my carbing process?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I would use hazelnut extract if you can ( used it in a nut brown and worked great) IF using frangelico don't do it until bottling or kegging and should be boiled to get the Alcohol out becuase it can harm yeast. Either will work.
cheers

Add 1 bottle per 5 gallons of beer. the extra sugar from the Frangelico should not hamper things if force carbing but I have not used this as my Homebrew store suggested the extract.

I used extract in a hazelnut brown ale I brewed earlier this year. I basically looked at a couple clone recipes of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar and at the info from Rogue ad formulated my own recipe based on that. The base beer had a roasty, nutty flavor to begin with so the hazelnut extract paired nicely with it. I bought my extract on ebay from a store called olivenation. I added 2 tsp for 2.5 gallons of beer. At first, the hazelnut flavor was a little strong, but after a month in the bottle it mellowed nicely and turned out to be pretty good and smells amazing. I've never added hazelnut liqueur but it sounds like an interesting idea.

Latest posts

Back