It’s been a busy mead week!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
Mockarita

I’ve been asked repetitively for a Margarita mead. I finally got around to making one.

Margaritas are about balancing sweet against tart while maintaining a strong citrus/agave presence. Here, I’m using agave nectar and cactus honey for tequila/agave spice. Fresh limes for tartness. Oranges juice fills in for triple sec.

Fresh citrus has to be added in secondary because you don't want low pH to cause yeast to produce off flavors. Also, citrus flavors really needs to be fresh to do a margarita justice. Since you need the sweetness to balance the tart (think simple syrup in a standard margarita), this will be a sweet mead.

Mockarita (4/16/20)
1. Add 1.5 lbs of Agave nectar and 2 lbs of Cactus honey to carboy (SG ~1.14).
2. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O, 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, and 0.25 tsp K2CO3.
-Add 0.79 tsp Fermaid O at 1.11 & 1.070
3. Add water to half gallon and swirl vigorously until most honey is dissolved.
4. Add water to 1/2 cup shy of a gallon.
5. Add a smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
6. It should finish around 1.020.
7. Allow the mead to clear by cold crashing.
8. Rack into a sanitized carboy and add the juice and zest of 1 Cara Cara orange and 2-3 limes.
9. Mix and taste. Add more lime as desired.
10. Bottle.
11. Serve chilled in a salt rimmed glass with a slice of lime for garnish.

Boat Drink Mead

Quarantine has a way of making you dream of the tropics. And boat drinks. Lots of tropical fruit and sweetness that begs for sunshine on a beach. I decided I need to make something with that vibe.

Pineapple, banana, coconut are used here for the tropical fruit. To add a little something extra, I’ll be adding some allspice dram in secondary. This is a standard addition to tiki drinks. You can see how to make it here: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Ad/
I’m also using Voss Kveik yeast from Omega Labs for some citrus notes.

Boat Drink (4/16/20)
1. Add to a spigoted demijohn 1 pineapple (peeled and cored), 2 ripe bananas, and 1 cup of dried coconut.
2. Add 8 oz dark agave syrup and 3 lbs cactus honey.
3. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O, 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, and 0.25 tsp K2CO3. -Add 0.79 tsp Fermaid O at 1.11 & 1.070
4. Pitch a starter of Voss Kveik.
5. Allow to hit stable gravity (~1.020).
6. Cold crash and rack into a new vessel.
7. Add allspice dram to taste.
8. Bottle.

Mead of Ra

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Egyptian-mead/

Wondering if you have any advice on this 5 gallon BOMM braggot recipe:

3lb Pilsner
3lb Vienna
1lb Munich
1lb Wheat
0.3lb Midnight Wheat
0.4 Special B
8lb honey (wildflower, probably)

1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)

Wyeast 1388

I was thinking to bottle half and rack the other half onto... fruit? Any ideas for the original recipe and for split batch experimentation?

What brand of agave nectar actually has good agave flavor like tequila? I would love to make some agave wine.

Wondering if you have any advice on this 5 gallon BOMM braggot recipe:

3lb Pilsner
3lb Vienna
1lb Munich
1lb Wheat
0.3lb Midnight Wheat
0.4 Special B
8lb honey (wildflower, probably)

1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)

Wyeast 1388

I was thinking to bottle half and rack the other half onto... fruit? Any ideas for the original recipe and for split batch experimentation?

The recipe looks good as is. Some options I think of are as follows:
1. Fruit is not necessary, but if you want a Belgian spin you could add a bit of tart cherry juice.
2. Coriander and orange peel 5 minutes before end of boil.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to taste the honey to determine if it would clash with these options or pair well.

What brand of agave nectar actually has good agave flavor like tequila? I would love to make some agave wine.

Basically, you want 100% Blue Agave syrup. It comes clear-ish or black. Clear has more of a blanco tequila fresh vegetable flavor (think aloe Vera) while the black has a more caramelized flavor. I use both depending on what I’m going for.

Back