Fourth Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rascal

Reaction score
Tried something different last night on my fourth one. Been wanting to try a full boil. I had a 7.5 g turkey pot (never been used). I started out with 4 g water in the pot for steeping while boiling 1.5 g water in another pot. After steeping I added the other ingredients, stirred them in, then added the 1.5 g boiling water. I was a little nervous about a boilover but it worked out OK. I cooled the wort in the kitchen sink (wort chiller with pot in cold water). I should have had a bag of ice ready but didn't. Took about 40 min to get to 75 deg. Is that too long? I seem to screw up on at least 1 step everytime I brew. I had made it thru the first 3 brews without a hydrometer but after reading many threads on this board decided I really needed to check the readings. Instead of taking a reading just as the wort had cooled down I started pouring the wort back and forth between pot and bucket and then took a reading before pitching the yeast. Is there anyway to make up for that mistake?

1 more question. I've got the fever now and ready to try another one. I've had one called High Octane IPA in a primary for 11 days now. I've got a plastic carboy that came with my beginners' kit that has never been used. Could I move the High Octane into the carboy so as to free up my primary bucket? If so, I don't have another air lock. What could I use as an airlock on the carboy? Thanks if anyone could answer these questions.

I'd leave the IPA where it is,since you don't have an airlock for the carboy. How big is the carboy? The wort chiller should chill down to pitch temp faster than 40 minutes. 20 minutes or less is preferred.

Thanks for the reply. The carboy is 5 g. Am I going to have problems if I can't get the wort cooled down any faster? I will have a bag of ice handy next time hoping that will help.

Latest posts

Back