Founders breakfast stout, what am i missing or is it old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
Last day of vacaction and i walk into a liquor store looking for ipa and boom, i walk smack dab into the one and only founders breakfast stout! I have brewed it three times and have championed the recipe from the brewer many, many times. Yet this average stout tasted nothing like the flavorful beers i make. A big fat meh. Am i sick? Am i drinking it wrong somehow? :). Then there it is, the bottle is labeled September 2015. I have argued more than once that most food/drink related stuff really is best fresh but have come to accept that some things do get better with age. This beer had very little chocolate or coffee notes if any and for a lack of better description tasted adjuncty imo. I am hoping those of you that have drank a lot of it are going to chime in here, otherwise this is going to go down as the most overhyped beer that has ever seen a fermentation tank imo. Even fresh i cant help but think that something like 1050 or on fleek is a vastly superior beer, once again imo. Wish i would have got the sunshine city ipa in my hand that was one month old as that was what i was looking for anyways. Did the age do that much? I suspect it did and hope i can someday find a fresh one for comparison.

Some people like their stouts with lots of (harsh?) flavors, some like them smoothed out. I'm one of the latter, you may be one of the former. Yooper and I argue about it.

Try it fresh before formulating your opinion. Some people like it aged but most would agree it is better freshly bottled. When it is fresh the coffee and chocolate flavors are much more prominent. I like the beer a lot but I wouldn't cellar it more than 6 months and I like to cellar beers for the sake of experimentation.

Last day of vacaction and i walk into a liquor store looking for ipa and boom, i walk smack dab into the one and only founders breakfast stout! I have brewed it three times and have championed the recipe from the brewer many, many times. Yet this average stout tasted nothing like the flavorful beers i make. A big fat meh. Am i sick? Am i drinking it wrong somehow? :). Then there it is, the bottle is labeled September 2015. I have argued more than once that most food/drink related stuff really is best fresh but have come to accept that some things do get better with age. This beer had very little chocolate or coffee notes if any and for a lack of better description tasted adjuncty imo. I am hoping those of you that have drank a lot of it are going to chime in here, otherwise this is going to go down as the most overhyped beer that has ever seen a fermentation tank imo. Even fresh i cant help but think that something like 1050 or on fleek is a vastly superior beer, once again imo. Wish i would have got the sunshine city ipa in my hand that was one month old as that was what i was looking for anyways. Did the age do that much? I suspect it did and hope i can someday find a fresh one for comparison.

Just to clear up what you are asking about. You are talking about the regular Founders breakfast stout, not the Founder's KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) right?

yea... the KBS or just their regular bfast stout?

Either way, coffee tends to fade relatively quickly so it's no wonder why there was no coffee flavor there.

Personally, the KBS, is just meh to me. It's a "flavored" stout which, to me, feels like there's fake adjuncts in there which equals weak sauce for my taste buds. Maybe the "flavored" label means something else? It's a good beer but I just don't feel like it deserves the pedestal it's been placed on.

I bought a bottle for $7 when they hit the shelves last year and was unimpressed. I feel like that's how most of the overly hyped beers end up for me though. I blame it on homebrewing. We get some of the best and most fresh beer around, don't use any fake flavorings, and can use very fresh ingredients, thus creating the snobbiest of beer snobs so these hyped commercial beers just end up being ok when everyone else is freaking out about them.

yea... the KBS or just their regular bfast stout?

Either way, coffee tends to fade relatively quickly so it's no wonder why there was no coffee flavor there.

Personally, the KBS, is just meh to me. It's a "flavored" stout which, to me, feels like there's fake adjuncts in there which equals weak sauce for my taste buds. Maybe the "flavored" label means something else? It's a good beer but I just don't feel like it deserves the pedestal it's been placed on.

I bought a bottle for $7 when they hit the shelves last year and was unimpressed. I feel like that's how most of the overly hyped beers end up for me though. I blame it on homebrewing. We get some of the best and most fresh beer around, don't use any fake flavorings, and can use very fresh ingredients, thus creating the snobbiest of beer snobs so these hyped commercial beers just end up being ok when everyone else is freaking out about them.

I think the "flavoring" is just the chocolate, cocoa nibs, bourbon, and oak from barrels. While it's still flavored, I don't think they're adding artificial flavoring or extracts, at least according to the article with recipe. And a lot of homebrewers do use these adjuncts and many others.

KBS is pretty hyped, but I think it lives up to most of it. I thought it was better than 2016 BCBS.

Back