Found, inexpensive and accurate thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albannach

Reaction score
I've had this thermometer for over a year now and I just checked the calibration again today. In ice water it reads anywhere from 31.7 to 32.0; the boiling point of water given my current barometric pressure and altitude is 210.569... In boiling water, the thermometer read 210.5 to 211.0; for the price, this is awesome accuracy in my opinion. Its not instant read like the thermapen, but shaving 20 seconds off the temperature read time isn't worth the extra $50 to me.

I found it at Target by the way, mine is black and they seemed to have changed the model #'s but the one in the link looks exactly like mine (- the yellow body).

Model # of thermometer I tested: Trutemp 3519 (does not look like mine though)
Here's the one that looks exactly like mine but a different color: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Commercial-Waterproof-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE4B/ref=pd_sim_k_1

I have the exact same one as the one in the picture, the yellow body....it may be waterproof but it is not steam proof. I can't use mine in the kettle over 150 degrees, as soon as the steam starts rising the led dies out.

I dunno if they have improved upon it with the black body but the yellow one is nearly useless...at least on the hot side. I use it exclusively for just about any other time I need to take a temp...the temp of the hydro sample, at bottling time, during the chilling phase, stuff like that.

But I can't use it to even heat my strike water or use in to take temps in my mash tun....anything over the temp where steam rises it hoses out.

After countless issues with thermometers, taylor digitals of various configurations, glass floating ones, etc...I now use one of these 3 dollar glass tube thermometers that are usually at the bottom bin of the homebrewshop...below the 10 dollar floating ones which crap out as well.

thermometer%20glass.JPG

I hang it above my above my kettles hanging half way in.

Like I said I don't know if they've improved on the taylor now with the black body, but I gotta say "buyer beware" with the yellow one. It's pretty frustrating when you are trying to hit a 154 strike temp when the lcd begins flickering and shuts off at 150.

Sorry to rain on your parade. It's handy for a lot of uses, but if anyone wants a kettle thermometer....don't get the yellow one.

I've held mine over steam during normal use for over one year now and I have never had any problems. You could try applying some JB Weld or other high temp epoxy around all the seams between the plastic parts etc. (except the battery cover obviously), this would make it very air tight.

I'm glad I found this thread. I did my first AG over the weekend and I used my Oneida digital thermomter I bought at the LHBS. I kept the probe in the MLT for the whole 60. Now the temp is reading 214 degrees! I was reading in an old thread about getting the wire that attches the metal probe to the unit wet can cause problems. In the same thread a discussion was started about waterproofing these types of thermomters with tubing. Do you just run the wire through the tubing? Do you seal it with epoxy or something? Also, is this thermomter now shot or is it possible to get a replacement probe?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back