Thermoworks probe issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Well I was ready to upgrade my system to keggles, a pump and a stand, but instead my chest freezer died and now I think my thermometer is toast. And that is what this post question is in regards to. I have a thermoworks Mini Thermocouple with a water proof 76" probe. It has worked great. I noticed that it wasn't quite keeping temps where I thought they would be and then the battery died. I replaced the battery and now (or it could of been before) it does not read accurate temps (unless boiling water is 72 degrees). I inspected the probe and noticed an inch section that looked like it got too close to a heat source and melted a little, compromising the protective sheath in that area. Is that causing the issue? Anyone use this thermometer and have the same issue? It is a quality tool and a new probe alone is about $35. Just hoping to get some advice or thoughts on anything that I am over looking before I put my order in for a new probe. Here is the description of the probe if you are interested:

PTFE/FEP TIP PROBES
Model: 113-372/373/375-T

ThermoWorks Image Use in dishwashers, freezers or anywhere a waterproof thermocouple is useful. Stranded wire cable with PTFE insulation and a cylindrical cap sealed over the junction.
Sensor Range: -58 to 482°F (-50 to 250°C)
Cable: -58 to 482°F (-50 to 250°C)
Time Constant: 15 seconds for full reading.
Accuracy: ±0.9°F (±0.5°C) from 32 to 212°F (0 to 100°C)

Thank you everyone. Cheers.

Chances are the fault is in the probe. Does the reading change if you flex the wire at all? I use the same probe attached to my mash paddle and it's worked great for ~125 batches.

Chances are the fault is in the probe. Does the reading change if you flex the wire at all? I use the same probe attached to my mash paddle and it's worked great for ~125 batches.

I haven't messed with it too much yet, but I will try that. Thanks.

Back