Forgot the nutes, working out of town

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
As the title states, I work out of town a bit and I forgot the nutes. oops

I brought what I thought was what I needed and made a small 1 gal traditional with 3 lbs Dakota clover and went to add the nutrients and low and behold I forgot them ( fermaid o) I do have on hand 3 packs of D47 and was thinking of boiling some water, adding a pack of yeast and adding to the must until I return Fri and can check the gravity.

It was 1.1ish, I didn't do a temp conversion to see but it's there or abouts according to what I've read but I started the ferment at 95f when I pitched the yeast and keep the room temp at 75f and that's where it's been since Sunday right before the super bowl started.

I've been degassing everyday twice and checked the gravity tonight and it said 1.072ish

I'm hoping I haven't screwed this up, the brew shop isn't too far from where we're working an I need to get there asap to get something but would like some reassurance it's not a lost cause.

I think not but I've seen things go bad really quick, could the yeast be a good addition at this point?????

Yes first check gravity. If OG wss 1.100 and expected FG is 1.000 then 100 gravity points is your expected drop.

I do nutrient additions (fermaid k and Dap) at pitch and at 1/3 sugar break. Have found that nutrients do not help and in fact after 1/2 sugar break cause some off flavors.

With that said if your current gravity is < 1.055 nutrients will likely not help much.

Thats not too much of a problem as it will still likely finish and be fine given a little time.

The current best practice is to add nutrients at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar points, the amount used being a function of the specific yeast's nitrogen requirements. There are calculators for that at http://www.meadmaderight.com/info.html . DAP is no longer in vogue since inorganic nitrogen can't be assimilated after about 9% alcohol. The new standard is organic nitrogen from Fermaid-O.

That's what I normally do is 1/3 break. UT I rushed out the house and forgot the nutes.

I'll check the sg after work and go from there.

Thanks for the replies and the link

Also fermaid o is what I use normally but the boiled yeast worked out in a pinch.

Back